Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinnmquinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is he just resting because he's been like this a while? Just bumming on the bottom

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406402341115.jpg
    1406402341115.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 70
Your Gourami

Is he just resting because he's been like this a while? Just bumming on the bottom

Hello quinn...

Gouramis are top living fish. They hang out there if the tank surface is heavily planted. If a fish is acting differently, then most times it's telling you it's time for a large water change. If you have a smaller tank, under 40 gallons or so and you haven't changed half the tank water in a week or so, it's time.

Do a larger than normal water change and this time, make the new water just a bit warmer than what's in the tank. Many times, a flush of warm, pure treated tap water will perk up a fish that's not feeling well.

B

I actually do a gravel vacuum/20%every day after their nightly meal, do I don't know...

Well honestly I think there might be a very mild case of ich in the tank

? No I just noticed a couple of white dots on the majority of my fish

Yeah about that size

Haven't started, tsk tsk shame on me I know, but I don't usually heat my tanks because the room temperature is constant, so I can't go with the tried and true method......

That's punny, lol doom juices, would like petco have it

I've found meds or heat will work, heat tends to get worse before it gets better, meds knock everything around a little.

What do you mean knock everything around

Sorry - kill off some good bacteria, be hated by plants and as with all meds you are trying to kill the infection before you kill the fish.

I've found the bacteria are mainly fine as I don't notice an ammonia increase, plants wilt after a week (but my plants are hopeless to start with) and generally fish are ok.

I am a fan of just heat and salt. I think they work well, and are cheap. Also, a lot of meds stain your tank weird colors. I am not a fan of that either. However, some fish cannot handle the heat very well, and some fish cannot handle the meds very well. I usually find the heat and salt is the gentlest. YOu may end up spending just as much money on other meds as on a heater. That said, you can do just salt. I have cured some fish with just salt. The change in salt levels messes with the cellular structure at certain life stages.
I have actually had good luck with Kordon Ich Attack. It is slower than other meds, but safe for scaleless fish and doesn't stain my tank. If the ich is advanced though, it may not be fast enough.

So the Kordon product worked ok? Just curious - I gather it is herbal or such and new'ish on the market.

Yep. I have used it several times. Twice in a display tank, and twice in the qt. I have loaches and nerite snails that I am rather attached to and prefer to avoid some of the meds that have mixed reviews about being safe for loaches. I don't have the heater power in my display tank to get the temp where I need it to be, thus the meds. I will say though, the ich attack works slower, and you have to use a fair amount of it. So, for a more advanced case, I would use something else. All I had was a couple f otherwise healthy fish with a few spots on them. So, be prepared for a lot of applications, patience, and maybe having to buy multiple bottles. With those things in mind, I will not argue that it is the best option for everybody. But, in my case it was what worked with my stock, tank, and availability.
I have cured loaches with salt too, but found the ich attack a little easier to dose.

Back
Top Bottom