GouramiLover's Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's great. I LOVE the stuff I've got from those guys. It sometimes isn't the rarest stuff, but no matter what you get it is always in great shape. I still have pieces in my reef tank I got from them back in early 2012.

That's great. I LOVE the stuff I've got from those guys. It sometimes isn't the rarest stuff, but no matter what you get it is always in great shape. I still have pieces in my reef tank I got from them back in early 2012.

You can't beat their price and quality. Though if you want something more rare unique corals is great. Definitely my two favorites for getting corals online :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422726993.874606.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422727087.523497.jpg

I took all these photos just after I turned on my lights, so not everything is fully open.

I changed the layout after I had to move the tank. I also glued down some of my zoas. I also attempted to glue down my ricordea, but as you can probably see from the photos I made a real mess of it. I also got some new zoas and palys from a local reefer I found! He had some great stuff so I will be keeping in touch.

Everything is looking good for the most part. The turbinaria frag has healed up quite well, at least I cannot see anymore bone. It is probably one of my favorites. The red and green frag (not sure what it is...favia?) Is also on its way to being healed up, but the process is slower. The chalice frag seems to have some tissue recession :( any advice to help it?

In other news I am having another flare up of algae or diatoms, not sure which. Last time I just decreased the time the lights are on and that helped a lot. I will be trying that again.

Well that's all folks!

If it is diatoms there would have been some disturbance of the sand to release deep down silicates. I'd be more likely to a 'dusting' of cyano if there is algae creeping up as well.

If it is diatoms there would have been some disturbance of the sand to release deep down silicates. I'd be more likely to a 'dusting' of cyano if there is algae creeping up as well.

Whatever it was my snails have demolished it. I have to say they have been an awesome cuc lately. They did take a while to adjust, but now they are so active!

I had a burst in zooplankton since I began feeding my coral. I have lots of what appear to be pods of many types, all look white-ish. I also have some fast moving buggers that appear look to me like a tunicate, but they speed around on the glass. The biggest one is about 1-2mm long and distinctly tannish.

I have attached a video and a picture.

Also, where the pods zoom around on my glass there is a cloudy residue. It easily comes off. I want know if that is normal?

My parameters are NO2 Zero, NO3 zero, Ammonia zero, ph~8.3, salinity 1.026

Well, some come and go. There are some that munch on corals. The one I see isn't one to take it to a meal, they would only be an issue if the population got so large that it started smothering corals for light. I would simply suck them out with some airline tubing.

Well as I go along this new reef keeping journey new issues arise. I was looking over this thread when I realized one of my corals has changed dramatically. I had not really noticed as the change has been so slow, plus I have been busy. Top photo is what it looked like originally, and bottom pic is what it looks like now. The small patches of white happened today after a partial water change. They seemed to appear as I was taking the water out and have not gone away. Though the really odd part is how the green color has gone away and moved...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424243720.926050.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424243786.959041.jpg

White stuff gone. But the zooanthelae (sp?) is still in odd places. Not sure if this helps, but it has been in this spot since I put it in the tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424283117.574657.jpg

Wow! That is a dramatic difference, looks kinda cool if it isn't causing its demise, I wonder if you need more minerals. (i am guessing because I have no clue...:confused: )

Wow! That is a dramatic difference, looks kinda cool if it isn't causing its demise, I wonder if you need more minerals. (i am guessing because I have no clue...:confused: )

This would be something I would seek out one of the vets about. I've never seen anything like it to where the center will evacuate across the shared wall in a favite or across those in a favia.

Back
Top Bottom