Gouramis at the bottom of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacock eeelss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 5 gouramis are lying on the bottom the tank for a few days now. They will get food and move if they get scared but they just sit at the bottom otherwise

Some fish adjust to high ph and some dont a good ph for a commnity tank is around 7.0 it could b why the gouramis died. U could try lowering it slowly if your going to use chemicals to lower it i would test the ph of your tap water if it is high treat the water before putting it in the tank so u dont end up lowering it to quickly. We had a problem with high ph in our tanks which caused the death of 2 fish and others to get sick which they died in the end to after i used chemicals to bring it down and then i was told to treat the water first and i have been.doing that since and its working great along with adding an oxyshell to help balance the ph

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a heater? One time my heater got unplugged somehow without me noticing and my fish all started sitting on the bottom of the tank all day. I couldn't figure out why until I found out the heater was unplugged and they were just cold!

My 5 gouramis are lying on the bottom the tank for a few days now. They will get food and move if they get scared but they just sit at the bottom otherwise

Is this a new tank? Did you cycle the tank?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some fish adjust to high ph and some dont a good ph for a commnity tank is around 7.0 it could b why the gouramis died. U could try lowering it slowly if your going to use chemicals to lower it i would test the ph of your tap water if it is high treat the water before putting it in the tank so u dont end up lowering it to quickly. We had a problem with high ph in our tanks which caused the death of 2 fish and others to get sick which they died in the end to after i used chemicals to bring it down and then i was told to treat the water first and i have been.doing that since and its working great along with adding an oxyshell to help balance the ph

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please avoid using chemicals to try and drop PH. It does not work long term and bouncing PH levels do more harm.

Test your water.
Do a partial water change. Use Prime to condition new water.

Do you have plants for them to feel secure ?

Tank size ?
Temps ?
Complete stock ?
New tank ?

5 Gouramis is a lot. They tend to hate each other. What type of Gourami ? Dwarf ?

If your PH is really high and you want to change it, you can add Driftwood to the tank or Peat Moss to your filter. Certain substrates will also lower PH.

Usually it's best to chose fish that will thrive in your water, rather than trying to "fix" the water.

Back
Top Bottom