gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
how do you tell the difference between a male and female Pearl gourami?
I'm trying to establish a trio, I have 2 currently and I took a shot in the dark getting them. need to establish a sex soon ... coloration, size, shape, behavioral patterns?

rreekers said:
how do you tell the difference between a male and female Pearl gourami?
I'm trying to establish a trio, I have 2 currently and I took a shot in the dark getting them. need to establish a sex soon ... coloration, size, shape, behavioral patterns?

Why don't you post some pictures? Im sure an experienced keeper can help out. When mature males develop orange/red throats. But immature males and females are more difficult. Mature females have more rounded dorsal fins than males do, and they do not have the fin extensions that males have.

with those details.. i think i got lucky and have 1 male and 1 female at this moment. i have been starring at them for for a good 30 mins now. the one that have a little bit longer dorsal fin, has a light tint of red/orange under his mouth. and like you described the other one (that i think is female) has a little shorter dorsal fin and it has less of a point to it. i have been trying to get pictures for 4 days... but they are quite active and my other fish and plants get in the way, i will keep trying though.. and thank you

Back
Top Bottom