GPH with sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're not relying on your sump return for your total system circulation, then a Mag 7 or equivalent should be a good choice. I imagine it will be about 4 feet of head pressure with a couple of 90 degree fittings, so you'll get somewhere around 450-500 GPH through your sump, which is good, IMO.

If you want more,(700GPH) go to a Mag 9 or equivalent.

*** edited cause I was tired and shouldn't be typing :)

The GPH for your pump is more dependent on your overflow GPH rating more then anything since restricting your pump and putting too much back pressure against it with a ball valve can damage some pumps.

Is this a reef ready tank (built in overflow(s)) or are you using a HOB overflow and if so what capacity of GPH is it rated for?

i was given the HOB overflow used, cleaned it up and its running now... i have no clue the the GPH are how would i determine that... it doesnt have any manuels nor is it stamped with a logo that i can tell. I just know that its 2 boxes connect with a U shaped tube which the water is transported from the tank to the second box and its attached by a plastic screw.

sounds typical of a u-tube style overflow. The width of the u-tube and the number and width of the teeth on the prefilter box will determine its max GPH. If you don't know the brand, it will be difficult to find out exactly its flow capacity.

I think you'll be safe going with a mag 7. Tecwzrd is right though about choosing a pump based on your overflows max flowrate, but for this you may have to guess. I have a lifereef overflow that is the same design as yours and it's max is 700 GPH. I don't think it'd have a higher max flowrate than that. Remember you also don't need to max your overflow out either.

If your overflow is draining out a 1” hole it’s around 600 gph. If it has a 1.5” hole then closer to 1000 gph. Or if it has two 1” holes closer to 1200 gph. As ryguy said it also depends on the width of the overflow but hole size is one of the biggest contributors to how much flow it can handle.

Either way the Mag 7 or Mag 9.5 would work.

Personally I’d go with the Mag 9.5 since you could always T off the return to run some of your return back into the sump or even better a fuge without causing any backpressure.

Like this setup from melevsreef.com

magpumpcontrol3rz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom