Gravel cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, not sure whether or not this fits in this section, but does anyone have any tips on cleaning gravel? My gravel looks kind of nasty and I don't want to have to re-cycle the tank.

All I can suggest is to use the siphon pipes to suck up the crap when u are doing a water change

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

All I can suggest is to use the siphon pipes to suck up the crap when u are doing a water change

Whet he said get a vac siphon. That is your best way to clean gravel.

Not really mate. I just clean the gravel whilst doing a water change. Stick it into the gravel and let it suck out the waste in sections really

I have a manual siphon I got from Petsmart - you put the big end in the tank, pump it up and down a few times to get the water into the tube (which is in a bucket on the floor) and once the water starts flowing, you just stick the large end all the way into the gravel - the siphon sucks up the yucky stuff at the bottom but isn't strong enough to pull out the gravel. I usually clean the gravel where my fish congregate the most & where I know uneaten food drops. I don't remember how much it cost but it wasn't that expensive.

I think they go for $13.00 Your fish will love you for it.

Make routine water changes faster and easier with these gravel vacuums. Separates gravel from debris without disturbing the biological filter. Unique, self-starting siphon action for easier use. Choose from several sizes.

Made in the USA.

Sizes:

Mini (6" x 1" cylinder)
Small (5" x 1 5/8")
Large (10" x 2")
Large Wide Mouth (16" x 2")
X-Large Wide Mouth (24" x 2")

Attachments

• Gravel Vacuums.jpg
    Gravel Vacuums.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 206
Back