Gravel filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got a tank with a gravel filter, and the power head blew out, so I removed the tubing, but left the grate under the gravel? Is this going to be ok? Are there any benefits to just having the filter grate under the gravel? Or worse could it be harmful?

No. There's no real benefit now that the powerhead isn't flowing water throughout the gravel bed. Longterm could be an issue as detritus accumulates under the grate.

You've just created a plenum, my friend. Denitrifying bacteria will grow down there, converting nitrate in to nitrogen gas. This is popular with saltwater aficionados.

David

You've just created a plenum, my friend. Denitrifying bacteria will grow down there, converting nitrate in to nitrogen gas. This is popular with saltwater aficionados.

David
Exactly what I was going to say. I discovered this many years ago completely by accident. It does decrease the nitrate concentration fairly well.

Is that good? I'm confused, I have a fresh water tank.

Last edited:
Plenums actually work better in a marine environment, but they will work to a certain extent in freshwater also.

Back
Top Bottom