Gravel in the garbage disposal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm sure I'm not the only one to make this mistake. You wash some gravel in the sink, and then the sink is broke. Fear not!, no plumber is needed. Get a screw driver and a big hex key. Get under the sink. Turn that metal thing counter clockwise with the screw driver as lever. The garbage disposal with fall off. It will look like this.

IMG_20131205_165923_642.jpg

Stick the hex key in the bottom of the disposal, while you hold it upside down. Turn it back and forth till the gravel is out.

Of course you could wash gravel outside, but it's cold and I'm not afraid of plumbing.

That's the first time I've used Google + to share a picture. Curious about the feedback. What other pics are you seeing, etc.

Hmmm Sixtyfou, Gravel in the old G-disposal is a normal condition here at my house. Luckily it's Floramax and being clay based it grinds down and goes through. Still, it can't be good for the blades. I got a drain strainer but some always get through. I feel your pain. lol OS.

Lol when I first started keeping fish about a year ago I would vaccuum the gravel and some would get sucked up and go down the sink.. The sink got clogged pretty quickly and I've tried multiple liquid plumber type products, but have had no success...

Luckily it's not my sink, I'm just renting, but now I bought a place and am moving and want to clear the sink up so I can get my damage deposit back... Anyone know how to unclog a sink full of gravel? There might be a hefty amount of gravel accumulated in there ... The sink hasn't worked in 8 months LOL

It's all in the trap. If it's modern plumbing you can take it off by hand dump it in a bucket and you're good.

Lol when I first started keeping fish about a year ago I would vaccuum the gravel and some would get sucked up and go down the sink.. The sink got clogged pretty quickly and I've tried multiple liquid plumber type products, but have had no success...

Luckily it's not my sink, I'm just renting, but now I bought a place and am moving and want to clear the sink up so I can get my damage deposit back... Anyone know how to unclog a sink full of gravel? There might be a hefty amount of gravel accumulated in there ... The sink hasn't worked in 8 months LOL

Can you post a picture of underneith the sink - the plumbing?

Can you post a picture of underneith the sink - the plumbing?

I'm just at work, I will take some pics when I get home

... I've seen adapters for pressure washers that fit down your sink... I was contemplating that idea

Anyone have experience with that?

I would try the vaccuum idea ... But how could I get the vaccuum attachment down my sink? Is it easy to remove the little drainage catch thing that the water flows through? I have 0 plumbing experience

Emptying out the trap under the sink is not hard, just a pain, in a few places by the time you're done. You don't even have to turn the water off. Hope you're successful, or your landlord won't be happy, for sure.

In future, it will help if you put a large bowl under the outlet from the water changer, as most of the gravel you suck up will end up in the bowl, and not go down the drain.

You can also get quite fine screen drain covers, quite cheaply, mostly they're made of SS, that will catch anything except fine sand. Those made of fine screen usually fit inside the drain hole. They're easy to drop into place, and easy to remove to clean them. Such a drain cover will spare you much grief over clogged plumbing. Also stops big chunks of anything else from going down the drain.

I leave mine in the sink all the time, it's saved me losing a few rings and small gadgets as well as gravel going down the drain. They can get clogged with finely textured crud, so cleaning often is a good idea.

Emptying out the trap under the sink is not hard, just a pain, in a few places by the time you're done. You don't even have to turn the water off. Hope you're successful, or your landlord won't be happy, for sure.

In future, it will help if you put a large bowl under the outlet from the water changer, as most of the gravel you suck up will end up in the bowl, and not go down the drain.

You can also get quite fine screen drain covers, quite cheaply, mostly they're made of SS, that will catch anything except fine sand. Those made of fine screen usually fit inside the drain hole. They're easy to drop into place, and easy to remove to clean them. Such a drain cover will spare you much grief over clogged plumbing. Also stops big chunks of anything else from going down the drain.

I leave mine in the sink all the time, it's saved me losing a few rings and small gadgets as well as gravel going down the drain. They can get clogged with finely textured crud, so cleaning often is a good idea.

How about some more liquid plumber and a coat hanger? Lol
I gotta do something, Id much rather not have to take apart the plumbing... There's been stagnant nasty water in there for 8 months ... It would be dreadful

Nothing you can put down the drain is going to dissolve gravel. If there were such a thing, I imagine it would ruin the pipes if you used it anyway.

Face it, if you don't fix this yourself, or find a really obliging pal to do it for you, you're either going to have to pay a plumber to do it, or kiss your deposit goodbye when you move out, and maybe pay the landlord's plumber's bill on top.

Frankly I'm amazed you let it go so long.

Fwiw, most kitchen and utility sink traps have a little fitting on the bottom of the trap, which can be easily removed. Put a bucket underneath first. Once open, it allows the water that's collected to drain out. This opening would let someone retrieve small items that might have fallen down the drain, like a ring or something.

So loosen that and take it off. The water will drain out, and you could flush some bleach solution down to reduce the smell.. let it all drain into a bucket.

If you are very lucky you might even find the gravel will fall out of the hole too, Rinsing through some more bleach & water should help reduce the odour so it's not too bad to work under there.

If the gravel is packed too tightly to fall out of the small hole, then you'd have to remove the whole trap, empty it, put it back on.

One thing that you could try that would be quick and easy is the old cup style toilet plunger. It's worth a try as a first resort. If you have a double sink, you will have to put the drain plug in the sink not directly over the main drain pipe. Have someone hold down the plug, fill the stopped up sink with about 1/3 water and pump like heck. It may suck up enough compacted gravel to loosen it enough to be forced on though. Good luck. OS.

Could work.. could also pack the gravel even tighter, or cause a blockage lower down the pipe that only a plumber can fix. If it were me, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Pipes can have odd bends in them in assorted places where something like gravel could plug up badly. I once lived in an old farmhouse where the drainage was very poor. Water from a bath upstairs would come up in the kitchen sink below it. Took awhile to find the problem.. gravel & sand, sor of like maybe somebody rinsed out buckets used for making cement maybe, jammed where the drain pipe joined the pipe to the septic tank. A real expensive pain to fix.

Ever have rocks get half way down your siphon tube, and then just stick ? I've spent more time than I care to think about a few times clearing gravel clogs from tubing.. and it always catches where there is compression in the tube, a kink or a bend.

I'm glad it's not my sink and drain :).

Just wanted to say thank you to bob & old scales

I used a plunger and my vacuum and it sucked out the gravel :) with minimal smell as well :D

Anyways, the water is draining normally ... For now anyway. So far so good!

Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom