Gravel or sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

What do you guys recommend for a freshwater tank, gravel or sand? Also, will gravel filters pick up the sand when you are cleaning your tank? Thanks!

I prefer sand over gravel. It's basically a matter of preference of looks unless you have a fish that requires sand. Gravel vacs will pick up sand if you plunge the vac into the sand. But that is not needed. Basically you just hover the vac over the sand and swish it around, kicking up debris. THen suck out the debris that is being kicked around.

If you are going to have bottom feeders, sand will be smoother for them as they may get injuries if browsing over sharp bits of gravel.

well that depends on what gravel you get

you can get really really fine gravel, or you can get really really coarse gravel

in my tank i have relly fine gravel with a natural look its not hot pink or anything like that

I've got a few cories in my tank and i've seen a few strorys of them getting sand stuck in their noses etc, and I read somewhere it's not all that good for their barble. Cories like smooth round gravel, and I've always think it looks better and is easyer to clean IMO, but I could be wrong :)

I've always heard the opposite about sand and cories, that their barbels can be worn down from gravel and that they love sand. I have gravel in 3 of my tanks and sand in 2 of them, and it is really just a matter of preference. The sand is easy to keep clean if you do what FF said during your gravel vacs. I use pool filter sand and would highly recommend it over play sand if you're thinking about going that route. The grains are larger and it never gets sucked into my filters, and it is only about $10 for 50 lbs. Or you can buy some really nice looking sand from your LFS and have more options for what color you want, but of course it would cost a lot more. HTH :mrgreen:

I have also hears that Cories prefer sand over gravel. Using a deep sand bad isn't bad. All you have to do is run your fingers or something to that effect through the sand to get rid of the pockets. We have MTS in our 29 gal to take care of that for us. At every water change we run our fingers through the 150. No problems ever with the pockets.

Back
Top Bottom