Gravel pumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry if I'm missing something, but what exactly do you mean by gravel pump?

Are you talking about an under gravel filter, or a gravel vacuum that's used to clean during a water change?

Okay, well a gravel vacuum is necessary no matter what kind of fish you have. It's a simple siphon device used to clean the bottom of the tank during a partial water change with one end much wider than the other to reduce the suction and keep from sucking up too much sand or gravel.

Under gravel filters are a more or less obsolete form of aquarium filtration that uses suction under the gravel to pull fish waste and debris into the gravel where it will be broken down by the biological filter. There are many other kinds of filters, some cheaper than others, and most are more efficient and easier to maintain than an under gravel.

This depends, of course, on how big your tank is. (how big is your tank, by the way? have you read about cycling?) I'd start by looking into a hang-on-back filter (aka power filter). They're about the simplest to start with and pretty inexpensive, but like I said there are a few different types so I'd need a little more information before I tell you which would be best for your tank.

Here is a pretty comprehensive filter guide.

You should be perfectly fine in that case if you keep up with your water changes. Under gravel filters might be about the cheapest, but they're inefficient and a real pain to clean. They're more trouble than they're worth in most cases. If you want extra filtration or a backup, go for another power filter or a canister filter.

so no need for the gravel vaccum for now?
and what gph should the other power filter be?

Back
Top Bottom