Gravel vs. Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyjenni

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 29 gallon currently with medium size brown gravel and artificial plants. I'm planning on going to live plants soon and I was wondering what your opinion is on gravel vs. sand is one better or easier than the other? I'm think of switching!

I like sand better. It won't trap crud like gravel, bottom dwellers like it, and I think it looks better. Get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to keep the sand sifted.

I agree sand is best. It is easier to maintain in my opinion. Only gripe is that white sand shows everything and can look dirty.

I just had this discussion and decided to go with sand. Definetly a great choice! It looks way better and is significantly easier to clean. My bottom dwellers seem to like it better too! My advice is... go with the sand!

If you don't mind light colored sand, you can get 50 pound bags of pool filter sand or play sand at places like Lowes or Home Depot for really cheap. If you need darker, maybe look at Quickcrete sand, it's a gray color. I use Petco brand black sand and it works great. They also have darker brown colors that look a little more natural. My preference is black though because fish and plants really pop against the dark substrate.

i like the way sand looks, i have a gravel tank with a sand pit. something that can be tricking with sand is cleaning it and not sucking up a bunch of sand while siphoning. in regards to your plants, i wouldnt just change because your getting plants, IMO it does not make that much of a difference to the plants. IME it is easier to plant, plants in gravel, also if you have a decent current in your tank and want to plant, i would say stick with the gravel.
have you considered mixing you gravel with sand? depending on the desired look you want, add more or less sand... i have seen some FANTASTIC looking mixed substrate tanks. also they sell sand that is a little more course that might be a great option for you.
-also they sell substrate that is sized smaller, that is ment to be mixed with your substrate (floramax and flourite are both good brand IME) they help your plants grow aka fertilizers

***PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you get sand/substrate that is for freshwater tanks, the live or marine sand can wipe out your whole tank stock, i have heard of people making it work by soaking and rinsing... i gave it a try once and i lost my stock :/

If you don't mind light colored sand, you can get 50 pound bags of pool filter sand or play sand at places like Lowes or Home Depot for really cheap. If you need darker, maybe look at Quickcrete sand, it's a gray color. I use Petco brand black sand and it works great. They also have darker brown colors that look a little more natural. My preference is black though because fish and plants really pop against the dark substrate.

also the darker colors are more calming for the fish :)

I went with PFS for my first tank, although I love it's texture and qualities I hate the color. I'd much rather have black or darker colored next time.

What happens when you siphon the sand? It is lighter than the poop particles right?

Nubster said:
I like sand better. It won't trap crud like gravel, bottom dwellers like it, and I think it looks better. Get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to keep the sand sifted.

Do malawian trumpet snails multiply like crazy? I have a tiger nerite snail.

rreekers said:
***PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you get sand/substrate that is for freshwater tanks, the live or marine sand can wipe out your whole tank stock, i have heard of people making it work by soaking and rinsing... i gave it a try once and i lost my stock :/
Thanks. I would hate to lose all my fishys.

Nubster said:
Get snails and plants, then you don't have to vacuum...just do water changes ;)

Really? That would be awesome! What snails would you recommend and how many?

snails

I meant Malaysian! Darn auto correct.

The MTS's will breed fairly quickly. In a 10, Ive got a bunch with 1 assasin snail eating a few off every so often. Ive never seen them bury completley under the sand, but im sure they do and I just dont notice them. There much cooler than the other types of snails IM.

Also, Ive got sand In all my tanks, mts, ramshorn, pond, and a few others in all 3 tanks.

Yeah...they breed readily but many stay under the sand so you don't see them. Anytime I pull a plant or for some reason kick up sand, there is always a few snails that get uncovered.

If you get too many, people are always looking for them. They are easy to give away or even sell. Assassin snails are really neat too. A one or two of them in your tank will keep the MTS population in check. They breed as well but slowly and only if you have a male and female. Assassins sell well too and for as much as a couple dollars each.

Yeah...they breed readily but many stay under the sand so you don't see them. Anytime I pull a plant or for some reason kick up sand, there is always a few snails that get uncovered.

If you get too many, people are always looking for them. They are easy to give away or even sell. Assassin snails are really neat too. A one or two of them in your tank will keep the MTS population in check. They breed as well but slowly and only if you have a male and female. Assassins sell well too and for as much as a couple dollars each.
MTS are illegal in some places though. In NC I know they are illegal to own, sell, or give away.

rreekers said:
have you considered mixing you gravel with sand? depending on the desired look you want, add more or less sand... i have seen some FANTASTIC looking mixed substrate tanks. :/

How would you clean this? Wouldn't a siphon suck up the sand?

Back
Top Bottom