Green algae on sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this green algae on my sand. It grows pretty fast, and i dont think my hermit crabs or snails eat it. I have a pic below. the algae on my rocks are gone. This pic is like a week old. but the sand is alittlebit better.

img_320453_0_7d0a63de343e698c9a17a307c3d1de79.jpg

Looks like Cyano to me. It's usually a reddish color, but there is a green variety. Lowering the nutrient levels in the water and increasing water movement will usually help get rid of it. You'll want to siphon as much of it out as you can when you do water changes.

check your phosphates. The cyano is caused by excess nutrients. You can increase your water flow to keep it from taking hold but the best thing to do is lower the nutrients. That means figure out what is causing it and stopping the problem. The problem is commonly overfeeding or overstocked tank.

You can also use chemi-clean to clear it up but it will come back unless you get the nutrients in check.

How can i increse my water flow? i have a backpack skimmer with a powerhead on it, is that enough?

Back
Top Bottom