Green Algae Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doberman15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All! Havent been on here in ages. Had a few things change in my tank. Went on a trip and didn't touch my tank for a couple of days. Didn't do a water change before I went, and the water was already about a week old. Came home to a dead pleco. A thriving Cichlid tank has been overrun by a madman Kenyi Cichlid. I was warned of their aggression, but silly me assumed that I wouldn't have that problem. I tried adding two or three plecos and they were all mauled by my Kenyi within days.

After months without a pleco, and me being too afraid to add anything to my tank quite the green algae bloom showed up. I scrubbed the glass and did weekly water changes, but I couldn't do anything to keep it off the glass. It was getting to be very difficult to even see in the tank. Finally I said something's got to give... so I went to my LFS and watched the fish interact in the cichlid tanks. One of them had a handful of Kenyi Cichlids and Chinese Algae Eaters. The Cichlids were much bigger than the algae eaters, but every time a cichlid came near one theyre dart off. I figured I'd give one a shot. They seemed quick enough and got big enough to hold their own.

Bought a Chinese Algae Eater who was about 2.5" long, nervous that my 5" Kenyi would gobble him up, but within a matter of a week I could see lines all over in the algae on the glass of where he'd gobbled up the green stuff. It's been two or three weeks now and the glass is crystal clear... there are no nipped fins on the Algae Eater, and he appears to be happy as could be. I estimate he's got to be at least a half in to an inch longer now as well.

It even ate the algae that was growing over my plants. I'm beyond thrilled with how amazing this little fish is. I highly recommend one to anyone who doesn't have an overly populated tank.

Awesome for you man! I personally am not a fan of CAE's, just because usually as they grow, they get more and more lazy and aggressive and start becoming "actual fish" rather than an algae eater...at least that was my experience with them! I go with true SAE's now...they seemed to work in my tank better, but if yours do the job, that's great!

Back
Top Bottom