Green Nepthea Fragging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a green nepthea in my tank that I purchased attached to a cement plug. Because of the ugly cement plug, I buried it just below the surface of my sandbed. I'm a bit worried about sand irritating the coral, because the base wasn't completely attached to the cement, and I also think it would look better attached to my liverock, instead of sticking out of the sand. How easy would it be for me to remove the coral from the plug, and affix it to a part of my liverock structure? I have never fragged a coral before so I'm a bit wary of cutting anything without knowing how to do it right. How safe is fragging for a relative beginner, and what is the easiest way to do it underwater?

They are fairly easy to frag and can be cut like any other coral. The important thing is be sure the tool you use is very sharp so the cut is smooth and clean instead of tearing.

Once cut away from the plug, you will need to attach it to the desired rock. This can be done with a loosely fitted elastic band, covering with veil material, wedging between rocks or using a unflavored toothpick. Just be sure it's in moderate flow and you run carbon to remove the coral toxins it will emit. Water changes at a few days intervals wouldn't hurt either.

It will remain dormant for a time after it's cut but should be back to normal after a short while. I would also put the "plug" back into the tank. For the most part andything left behind should grow into a new coral. You can either frag it again in a few months or sell it.

Cheers
Steve

why not just wedge the plug between some rocks and let the coral grow, before long, the plug won't be visible.

I frag my nepthea every few months and sell it back too a LFS. I use plain old super glue and a chunck of LR rubble. Works like a charm.

thanks everyone for the response - steve, i am using no wet/dry filter..can i run carbon somehow in the outlet of my protein skimmer? any recommendations for carbon? how big of an issue is the toxins produced by the fragged coral? how long does it generally take for the frag to take hold?

chris stevens said:
thanks everyone for the response - steve, i am using no wet/dry filter..can i run carbon somehow in the outlet of my protein skimmer?
Pretty easily depending on the type of skimmer you have. Really depends on how much room you have and if it's going too look "gawdy". A small berry basket stringed under the outport will work. Place the carbon in a nylon bag and then in the basket. Be sure to soak/rinse the carbon in RO/DI first. Alternately you can use a Phosban reactor or similar.

any recommendations for carbon?
#1 Seachem Matrix
#2 Marineland Black Diamond

how big of an issue is the toxins produced by the fragged coral?
Really depends on what other corals are in the tank, other inverts will be the most affected. For some, it can be a very large issue.

how long does it generally take for the frag to take hold?
Water quality depending but about a week before it starts to attach and about two before it's solid.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom