Green phantom pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bulldog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. I was wondering how hard the green phantom pleco was to keep and if it was harder than a gold nugget pleco as my friend has kept the gold nugget but said they are very hard to keep so wanted to know the info before buying. Thanks.

Hard in what sense? I've always been under the impression all plecos are relatively hardy.. Baring any major water parameter issues..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Easy so they won't die easily as some die for just no reason and I don't want this happening.

Yah that's just stock though.. I've had a couple bn ' s go belly up in a stable tank.. I've also had a bn survive 2 cycles. . I think it mainly boils down to quality of the stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I believe that green phantom plecos need meat in their diet in addition to plant matter.

I have 3 blue phantom plecos in two tanks, same pleco but blue. They are very easy to keep and hardy. I've had these guys for about a year now and never had any issues with them. They like any sinking pellets and go crazy over blood worms, cucumber but their favorite seems to be sweet potatoes. They have driftwood in the tank but never seem to show any interest in it.. They come out of their hiding spots quite often and even interact with me at feeding time.. They are one of my favorite fish:) they will also eat any snails in the tank and need high water flow in the tank.. Hope this helps:)

Gold nuggets are wood eaters, and if they're kept too long in a distributor's holding tank, then most likely the lfs w/out wood the symbiotic bacteria in their gut die off and they starve. W/out the bacteria to break down the wood they can't absorb the necessary nutrients.
Green phantoms come from fast-flowing water, and need strong circulation. The warmer the water is the less O2 it can hold, so turnover is critical in an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom