Green Severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veetors

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me what the significance of the color changes (light to dark) with a green severum are? I've been watching mine to see if I can figure it out but it seems so random...

Thanks

Alex

I have 2 Red Severums and they don't change much, but they change none-the-less. It has to do with their moods - anger, feeding, sleeping, etc. But they also "transform" during pairing up and spawning. How many do you have and how big are they? What size tank?

Thanks for your reply.

I only have one (not sure if it's male or female) it is about 3 1/2" and it shares a 55 gallon tank with two 2" cory's and an 8 1/2" Pleco. It is really amazing how it can go through so many different color variations...

How can you tell the difference between male and female and would I be able to fit another one in my tank? I know they get quite large.

I've had one. Color changes can be random but are more commonly caused by stress and they tend to get darker at night

Like some of the other South and Central American Cichlids they can be be hard to sex. I have a pair of reds and I don't know which is Male and Female, in fact the only reason I think they are is because the breeder that sold them to me garanteed to be a pair or Money back. They were very expensive fish. Anyway, the fins are typically pointed and longer and the males tend to have a spotted mask that is more colorful and visible than in the females. The best way to pair them up is to put 4-6 together and let them pair off. Remove the remaing fish and you have a pair.

Back
Top Bottom