green slime??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have the box in front of me but I don't believe purigen will absorb phosphates, try phosban for the phosphate....

Yup... purigen won't do anything about phosphates. Another minor point... Purigen isn't advertised to get rid of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates DIRECTLY. It's advertised to remove the stuff that creates ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, which it seems to do quite well. But don't expect it to suck up your existing nitrates, but it will keep things from getting worse.

I took a sample to the LFS all readings are correct. But the couldnt test Ca???? I dont know I going to try another water change today. I have took out my filter and running with out it. The LSF suggested that maybe my live sand could be producing alot of Ca and I dont have enough in my tank to help absorb it I dont know. Can only 1 test go bad and the rest be okay???

Sand does not produce Ca in any measurable amounts. Never heard of a LFS that couldn't test for Ca. That's pretty basic stuff. Too bad they're the only one in town!

Yes... one test kit can go bad and the others still be OK. Again... what brand test kit are you using? Also again... what is the specific gravity/salinity of your tank water? Are you measuring the specific gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer?

Hmm. I guess I don't really understand what's happening either. I use the API calcium test also, and it's pretty reliable from my experience. And I don't think you could mess it up to the extent that you'd get readings in the 500s when it's really in the 300s.

I was asking about salinity because I was wondering if you were running a really high SG, and making the Ca levels high that way. But at 1.022, that wouldn't be the case. Hydrometers can be innaccurate... but probably only off by +/- .005 or so at most.

Are you testing the PO4 on the tank water or the RO water? I would test the RO water and also get a TDS reading of the RO water. Are your bulbs new? I know you said the tank has been up a few months but was this a new setup or a used one. I would probably change the bulbs regardless.

Cut back on feeding as well. I don't think phytoplex is all that good really. Some of these additives can fuel algae.

Ca can't be that high either. With a reading of 920 you would see Ca flake in the water. Would like like snow. IO won't read that high anyway. Buy a salifert Ca & alk test kit. These don't cost much more and are more accurate.

Struggles in the hobby can be very frustrating. We have all been there to some degree. Keep plugging away!

Back
Top Bottom