green spot puffer salinity requirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raygator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will a gsp die if it doesn't have any salt in its water or can it adapt to not having any? I wanted to know before I bought one

It needs salt if you want it to live a long life. They are born in fresh water and move out into marine water as an adult.

Less than 2in - salt not that important
between 2in to 4 inch - needs to be in brackish water, ok to be moved into marine water
bigger than 4 inch - needs marine water

Increase the salt grade slowly every week.

You will need a tank bigger than 40 gallons for a full grown GSP. They are active and very big.

Thanks for the info I have two In brackish right now and they're still tiny so I think they'll be fine for a while

Alright, just keep them in light brackish for now. When you decide to raise the salinity to the higher spectrum, then do it fast to save yourself money (assuming you're doing 50% pwc weekly). You will eventually need to get your GSP in marine water asap once you spend money for a protein skimmer, refugium, and live rocks (all should cost ~$1000 and will keep pwc to once a month).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom