green stuff keeps growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blahblahblah

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I have a 29 gallon fresh water tank stocked with 4 black skirt tetra's, 2 other tetras and 2 small red, white and blue ones. Plus a crap load of snails. I usually do a 30% water changes ever 2 weeks ( I know I should do it once a week). I use Prime. I keep the temp at 76. I was told to get a certain type of Gold fish and that it would help with the snail problem I was having. Well I started to get green stuff growing on my tank décor and then on the glass. So I got rid of the Gold fish (Gave it back to the store). I've cleaned it off the glass but It's still turning my décor green. Do I need to do multiple water changes or is there something I can put in the water to safely remove it. For some reason my ammonia has always been a little high in my tank. I've tested my tap water and found no ammonia, but it doesn't matter how many water changes I do it's always a little high. I'm tired of having to take my décor out and scrubbing them with a brush. I gave back the gold fish about 8 months ago.

I'd appreciate any help!
Sue

I wasn't clear. To maintain your tank, do a water change once a week in the future. The immediate solution is to change some water every day or two until the problem clears up, then go to weekly changes.

Try 6 hours a day and do 50% water changes twice a week. Personally, I'd add a few nerite snails as you do this to clean things up.

Back
Top Bottom