Green Terror, Blue Acara, or Gold Saum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recieved this "Blue Acara" from a local fish store, a good one not just a petsmart so i trusted it. However, after I posted a picture of it many people thought it was a green terror or even a gold saum. Its not quite full size yet but any help???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh yes, very sorely

Attachments

• 1392671930450.jpg
    1392671930450.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 193
100% NOT a green terror. It's a gold saum, andinoacara rivulatus. A green terror is andinoacara stalsbergi (saums often get called green terrors as stalsbergi have become more rare, and that's the reason why most people say that rivulatus don't deserve the "terror" in it's name, where stalsbergi are much more aggressive and earned the name green terror). The orange on the dorsal, anal, and tail fins is a dead giveaway that is indeed a gold saum and thus not a stalsbergi, the true green terror.

Flash was off, but heres another
ezebu9ab.jpg

Alright thanks

Your welcome. Its an awesome fish and when most any one says they have a green terror That is what they have. I have never seen a true green terror in person.

Very true, stalsbergi are not common unfortunately. Gold saums typically are going to be a better pick as a tank mate with many of the medium-aggressive new world cichlids, like jack dempseys, oscars, etc. where as the stalsbergi are much more aggressive and can hold their own with more aggressive species (to my understanding). 5x5 used to keep stalsbergi, but he would have a lot of issues keeping them disease free, can't recall the specific disease that kept popping up for him though

Just to clear up. You have a Gold Saum Green Terror. The name Green Terrors is a common name and are used to describe two fish Gold Saum and White Saum. Gold and White Saum is used to describe the color out line on the fin and tail.

Orange Saum - captive breed strain of Green Terror are they more common "green terror" in the trade. Most are breed for a more intense Gold saum. Wild caught gold saum have less of the orange and you don't typically see them in the trade.

White Saum- some people call "true green terror" Not very common. Recently recognized as a different species from the Gold Saum. Many of the ones seen are wild caught.

Both are referred to as green terror.

I should also add Gold Saum and White Saum are Common names as well.

Back
Top Bottom