green water in 55 gal tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marthadtobin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all - I am very new to aquarium world. have a 55 gal freshwater tank that was left at my house so I now own it. :dance: OK so I set it up and it was lovely for a number of months. Last month the water went all green. I put my fish in a bucket and emptied the tank and started fresh. New water filter set up and all fresh water. added/ algae treatment. water was clear for about two days.

I have 2 coi, 2 black mollies, a couple of larger goldfish, two smaller gold fish, a loach, a plecky and a bug-eyed gold fish.

I had aquatic (banana) plants in the aquarium that I took out but it made no difference in the water going green so it's not them.

I know I need to change the filters regularly; changed them out on Tuesday but no change to water.

I manage the same size tank with the exact same set up at my workplace and that tank stays clean & clear - we have danios, loaches, platys & gouramies in that tank.

is it the fish? any - and I do mean Any - assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really get a lot of enjoyment out of the fish and would hate to have to send them to another home because I can't take care of their home.

thank you!!:thanks:

Rich - Thank you - I knew I could count on this forum to help me.

My home is very sunny so I would say lots of indirect sun. The lights go on first thing in the a.m. and go off at bed time.

I thought that was what I was supposed to do. Like I said - I inherited the tank and am uneducated about it.

I'd say that lighting is definitely contributing. In a non planted tank, the lights only need to be on when you want to see the fish. Otherwise, they are uneccessary and can contribute to algae blooms. Before I completely switched over to planted tanks, I only turned the lights on when I would feed, so they were on every other day for 15 minutes or so. I would start by leaving them off for several days and doing some decent sized water changes (50-75%). Also make sure you aren't overfeeding. If you feed more than once every other day, that's too much.

Back
Top Bottom