Green Water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdcorliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a problem with my tank water turning green quickly. I am doing 50% or better water changes weekly and at the end of every week the water is green. It appears to be in the water as I am not having any buildup on the glass and very minimal on the decorations.

My tank is a 55 gallon running two Aquaclear 70 filters for filtration. I am using a sponge, filter floss, and the biomax rings for media. There are silk plants and fake driftwood for decorations with pool filter sand for the substrate.

My stock list is very small as I have been giving fish away so that I can create a cichlid tank. I have 4 head and taillight tetras, 2 platies, 2 clown plecos, and a male betta currently in the tank. I feed them flakes once per day, and drop in an algae wafer once every couple of days.

I do have sunlight in this room for the first few hours in the morning, I have two lights that came with the tank kit on a timer from 7AM to 9PM. The tank has been in this location since March when I first setup. I did have brown algae (diatoms) for the first few monthes when I was cycling but it eventually cleared up.

This problem has been going on for about 6 weeks. I have an AP freshwater master test kit, is there anything else I should be looking for to help identify this problem?

Thanks in Advance

Lighting period is way to long with just artificial plants. I would try reducing your lighting period and closing the blinds.

I had GW for nearly 2 weeks and I finally got it out. I did a 30% water change, covered the tank for 24 hours. Next day, fed a small amount, did 30% water change and covered it for another 24 hours. Day 3, fed a small amount did 30% water change, added carbon filters and lights out for 24 hours. Day 4 tank was crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom