Green water!!!*!***!*!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friends tank water turns gReen after about 3 days after a water change, the water has a green tint to it!

Anyone know how i can fix this problem?

To accurately answer the nitrate levels in the tank, amongst other things, would need to be known.

It sounds like algae is blooming. A possible cause is too much nutrients. If this is the case, it sounds like he needs to do water changes every 3 days. Either that or increase the volume he changes. How much water does he change at a time?

If he is running lighting for extended periods it can help algae bloom. How long is his ligh on for?

Well it is in a very lit room, its the waiting room at his tire shop, so there is plenty of natural light coming in. The water parameters are fine, the thank is stable and cycled.

He tells me he does water changes every 3 days, and the water will be clear for 3 days, then the green water just returns.

The lights arent on, and he has a sheet around the tank to keep out sunlight, anything else that would cause murky green wateR?

If it is getting bright light, then that may be the culprit.

The only other things that I can think of that cause green water (apart from medication which it clearly isn't)are toxic to fish.

What is the size of the tank and what types and how many fish are in it?

its an 80 gal, and there are a few small fish in there, im not too sure the names!

If you friend has the money to spare, I suggest getting a magnum canister filter to add to whatever he has. My 75gal tank was really green and I didn't know how to fix it... I couldn't even see the back of my tank it was so murky.. I hooked up the magnum filter and it cleared up within like two-three days

Here is a link to the general concept. I cleared mine up w/o any diatom powder (like it says)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=13431

Back
Top Bottom