Greetings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnblaid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi: I've been nursing a 5 gallon tank for almost 2 years now. I figured I'd start with something small and easy.

I now know better but I've learned a lot.

But I love my 5 gallon and my Betta and catfish.

I have recently redecorated a room with 2 recliners, and 2 bed side tables long enough for the 30" long 29 gallon tanks. One is a community tank with mostly Dalmatian and balloon mollies. It has large tree stumps and lots of plastic plants The other is strictly Angelfish with 4 very large roman column ruins that I got on Amazon.

My decorating style is "use the largest decor pieces that will fit and put plastic plants around them"

Some day I hope to get into growing plants but not for now.

Figured I should join an aquarium forum. Forums always offer the best advice and discussion and I've joined several on different subjects.

Normally I am a political raver but since I've been fooling with fish and since I have this new room with no tv or radio or computer, only fish, I find that i just don't care about anything when I'm sitting in there and I won't be raving on this forum.

FISH = Inner Peace :fish2:

I'm just here for information but I don't bite.
I manage a doctors clinic (The Affordable Care Act made me a Political Raver) and I have 2 tanks there, one 20 long that I've had awhile for the patient's amusement and one 5 gallon that is new that I was forced to buy to put my Petco King Betta in because he is such an pain, biting the feelers off my snails and generally terrorizing the other fish. The 20 long has an Aqueon submersible filter since the back of the tank is right up against the wall. These are not the best filters but are much better than nothing.

Beware the King Betta. They are designed to dominate us like cats except in tanks of water. As you can see, he's already strong armed his way into his own private penthouse. Next I think he plans to demand fresh blood worms.

Greetings to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 fluval C3's in each of my 29 gallon tanks. After fooling around with several filters, I would not use anything else now. They have intake extensions that you have to buy as accessories but the extensions allow you to draw water down to about 17 inches below the top of the tank. Great for a tank that is 18" tall.

Ooooh those are pretty fantastic filters! Have you considered gutting the submersible and putting different media in? I don't much care for the little filter cartridges in submersibles myself. I have great results from Fluval ceramic rings and two sections floss with first an activated carbon pouch during cycling, then Purigen once the cycle is over. I have switched two 2.5g desktop beta tanks, a Whisper 3i (whaat?! right? it's in the 5g plants only tank, it doesn't have much to do but move water a bit) and another 5g after it worked so well in my first 5g, both with Whisper 10-30i's. I like it because it's cheap and effective. :D I'm only mentioning it because it seems you're a little short on options and it may lessen your aggravation at having to use it.

Oh yea, I've gutted the Aqueon Submersible by cutting out the bottoms of the 2 large filter cartridges and stuffing them with filter replacements for a TopFin 10 filter. They fit just right. But I left the other side alone. I'm going to trim most of the studs off it so it will still position itself but will allow me to fill that side with biological media. I just ordered a big bag of BioHome Filter Media, the red plus small diameter stuff, and when I get that in about a week, I'm going to remove all the media I have and put it in my C3's and the Submerged here at work. I've heard a lot of stuff about this product. My Betta filter has fluval media in it behind the filter bag. The fluval media is mature at this point.

These 2 29's have not cycled yet.

What a coincidence. I am sitting at the front desk as I write this and my BioHome media just got delivered. It looks fertile. LOL. A project for this evening!!!

I love when a plan comes together! You'll have to let us know how well it works :)

Back
Top Bottom