Grey candy floss like mold/algae showed up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vendril

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just getting ready to start first round of stocking (with cleaner fish/algae eater shrimp) after my fishless cycle but noticed today this grey stuff growing on the driftwood. You can also see algae starting to build up on the driftwood too during my cycle which I hope adding the fish will help with.

Did a massive 90% pwc this morning to bring my nitrAtes down to a reasonable level. All other parameters are fine and bio filter is doing a good job converting the ammonia.

Is it safe/recommended to start adding my fishies?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 88
I would say it is. Driftwood is weird, and will grow odd things when it is first put into a tank. It will usually go away after a while. At least that was my experience!

I don't know if others have had a negative experience with what you are describing, so hopefully others will chime in if that is the case!

I have that in my tank (that is currently fishless cycling, its a 20H) and I was told it is caused by residue from the dechlorinator that you add to your water. But it could also be something with driftwood. There is another thread that a guy posted because he had the same problem have. I believe it is titled "Gray, cobweb like algae?" or something like that. I posted a pic of what mine is like on there.

I've had this with driftwood, it's pretty normal. It'll go away on its own once it burns itself out; until then it's just unsightly but not harmful. Some fish may eat it, some snails may eat it too.

Back
Top Bottom