Grossly overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
After I make an order to replace a Wrestling halfbeak that arrived DOA, this is what my stocking would be in a 20 gallon.

3 Wrestling halfbeaks
5 Peacock Gudgeons
5 Hasborus corydoras
3 Skunk corydoras

I wouldn't imagine the halfbeaks have high bio-loads, nor the cories, am I correct? I can always house some of the cories in my 55 gallon if this would be grossly overstocking. It's just that I have credit at an online site for a halfbeak, and didn't want to order just one halfbeak, and pay shipping. Seemed like a waste. I know I should get more skunks, but just don't have the room. Will they be happy with just 3 of them?

After I make an order to replace a Wrestling halfbeak that arrived DOA, this is what my stocking would be in a 20 gallon.

3 Wrestling halfbeaks
5 Peacock Gudgeons
5 Hasborus corydoras
3 Skunk corydoras

I wouldn't imagine the halfbeaks have high bio-loads, nor the cories, am I correct? I can always house some of the cories in my 55 gallon if this would be grossly overstocking. It's just that I have credit at an online site for a halfbeak, and didn't want to order just one halfbeak, and pay shipping. Seemed like a waste. I know I should get more skunks, but just don't have the room. Will they be happy with just 3 of them?

This should help you with that! AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

If you can I'd move the Skunk Cories and up their numbers.

Then add more habrosus, when you can. You could easily do 8-10 habs.
You might even get breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you ericwithac. AqAdvisor says I'm at 83% with plenty of filtration capacity, but that's WITHOUT the halfbeaks, as there was no selection for them! I can't imagine them having a high bio-load, but if it seems too crowded I'll move the Skunk cories into the 55, which only has 2 dojo loaches for bottom dwellers. So, it'll work out in the end. And thank you Coursair, for the suggestion to up the habs to ten. If I do end up moving the skunks, I will get 5 more hasbrosus! You guys are always so helpful!

Well, found one of my new halfbeaks dead this morning, and the other one is doing something really weird. It's almost as if it's "straining." The body is folding almost in half (not as much as shrimp do, but the same type of movement). I think I'm going to lose that one too. When I get my replacement one, I'm hoping it'll live, but if not, I don't think I'll try halfbeaks again. And since the Habrosus are so tiny, I think I'll go ahead and get 5 more. It's true what you guys say, the more cories the better! I love watching the five of them. I can only imagine how fun it'll be with ten!

Back
Top Bottom