Growing algae rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three snails, one gold inca, one olive nerite, and one tiger nerite. My inca named Unsub is an algae crackhead and will hoard the wafers I put in. I will share the picture of when he took both of them as evidence to my crackhead. I am trying to grow algae rocks in my tiny tank that I bought when I originally bought my baby betta that passed away mid-October. I have three rocks in it and the water is treated. It is sitting by my dorm room window. Does there need to be water movement, or just leave then sit in the still water? Do I add anything else to the water, like wafers or a bottle of stuff, or just leave it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image-1974671147.jpg
    image-1974671147.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 102
Obviously you'd wanna sit it at a window that receives the most sun, that being said it would also help if you used "old" tankwater like after a pwc because it's probably higher in nitrates than just conditioned tapwater.

Obviously you'd wanna sit it at a window that receives the most sun, that being said it would also help if you used "old" tankwater like after a pwc because it's probably higher in nitrates than just conditioned tapwater.

Also if you use any fertilizers adding a drop or two to the tankwater will help by adding extra nutrients to the water for algae to use.

So, since today is the day to add the liquid stuff to my tank for my live plants, add a couple drops to the little one with the rocks in it? I only have one window in my jail cell dorm room. It's by that. I could try to add some old fish water to it after I vacuum their litter box soon (just discovered that one last night), but there's no guarantee it will work since the only cheap bucket I could find was an 18q dishpan and I conveniently use my computer chair to move it between the bathroom sink and the tank. I come from a tiny redneck town, so if there's a cheap, easy way to do something it will be found. Nature of my people.

It's a .75 gal thing. So like one drop if liquid stuff then? And yes. Us redneck people have degrees in lazy innovation. If it can be done easy and with minimal effort it will get done. If not call someone else. That's pretty much everyone but my dad, including my adoptive in-laws.

Then I will be adding a drop this evening. Do I add it once a week, once a day, how often exactly? I know I ask way too many questions. Thanks for answering all of them and tolerating my lack of intell.

I'll do that. I just added a drop in not too long ago. After messing with the tank. Now the tank better be stable, or something will be thrown. Ammonia was really really really unstable.

I left my rocks ina 10g tank out side with a powerhead hitting the points you want alge and add 5 alge chips and leave till its got as much alge as you want

yeah thats what i did then left it for a week or 2

but yeah i noticed where the water flow was hitting had the best alge hope this helps

This might sound like the dumbest question ever, but if the algae grows over a lot of the small tank it's in, would it be okay to put a snail in it to enjoy the buffet of grossness? I got an inca and two nerites if I didn't say all before.

Back
Top Bottom