Growing roots in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Nemo_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All right, at first it was fun to watch. Now it is becoming an unsightly mess. All of the stem plants are growing roots in the water column outside the substrate. Is this something I have to learn to admire, or is there something that needs to be done I'm not doing?

The ludwigia repens is doing so well, the leaves are a gorgeous mahogany brown. But the roots it has grown outside the substrate are so thick; they are ruining its look :mad:

The problem I'm talking about is with roots way up in the water column. The roots are growing where the leave nodes are, and are forming a system/network in the water. Some of the roots actually head down towards the substrate but it is a long way down! Others just branch out in the water itself the way roots usually do in the ground - like the roots of the water lettuce.

Is this something normal I should deal with via pruning, or is it an indication of some deficiency?

---
Params:
gH = 4; kH= 4; pH = 6.6; light 3.7 w/gallon
Fertilization: DIY CO2 to 20-30 ppm; KNO3 to 8 mg/L; KCl to 12 mg/L; SC Flourish
Substrate: 2.5” 100% Fluorite

This is normal for stem plants but can get ugly looking. You can either learn to live with it or just clip the unwanted roots off or maybe just prune the plants down a bit.

Its best to leave roots attached as most stem and aquatic plants take their nutrients from the water column. Exceptions are Swords, Anubias, etc. which are heavy root feeders and do well with root tabs. Stem plant roots are more for anchoring (I think I've read), and the floating roots take in the bulk of the nutrients.

Its natural and I like seeing mine sway in the current. After enough plant growth it won't be as noticeable and, after awhile, I'm guessing it won't bother you one bit.

LOL I have the same prob Nemo, and it drives me nuts. Instead of pretty leaves, I mostly see a tangle of roots and rootlets. Bleaugh. I took to pinching off the plants at the biggest area of root entanglement and planting that part I removed. Seems to work. I also have trimmed off some of the worst roots; the ones that decide to enter the substrate halfway across the tank LOL

Back
Top Bottom