growing xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
We just got a Xenia in our 8 gallon biocube. What are some tips to help it grow and how long will it take for it to start spreading? Does it need to be in high or low water flow? Thanks for the help

Mine likes to be in medium flow, and it grows FAST! New stocks shoot up every week and it is a very sturdy coral. I had 3 small stocks on a peice of live rock and expecte it to die through the cycle. It didnt, and tripled in size. Haha good luck

Ya I got a single branch that fell off a colony from the lfs when they sold it and she gave it to me...within a month and a half to two its gone from one detached branch to a minimum of 50-60 with about 10 full sized

It's true. These polyps don't need any special care. I wish there was a way to stunt their growth Mine r a pain when it comes time to trim em back. They r attached to the rock so well, it's hard to peel them off like most people do

Here's my xenia when I first got it and today

First picture is January 27th

We had ours in kind of high water flow and it wasn't doing much, but moved it to medium to low water flow. Now it's not "pulsing" at all. Is this normal? Should we move it back?

ForumRunner_20120409_152523.jpg

I keep my pulsing xenia in high flow high light, and also low flow high light, and lastly low-medium light medium flow and they all pulse for me...it seems to be a very hardy coral once it is established but from my understanding they don't handle transfering tanks very well

The pictures I posted are not my pulsing xenia though it is my waving hand xenia

Jspires688 said:
Kill it now why you still have a chance it will take over

---1 if left unchecked yes it could take over but if you are doing proper upkeep on your tank then it should not be an issue with proper care and removal of unwanted growth

My xenia are the opposite. They pulse in low flow and tend to close up in high flow. Same with my torch, it closes up in too much flow.

Back
Top Bottom