Guinea pigs for 4yo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
We are seriously considering getting a same sex pair of guinea pigs for our almost 5 year old daughter and almost 3 year old son. She loves to hold and pet animals so for the life of me I can't get her more interested in fish other than the occasional help feeding them! I think she's very mature for her age though I might be biased. :) She has pet chickens that she absolutely adores but we have to give them away because our cocker spaniel pup is way too interested in them. They live their lives in a constant state of fear and its not fair to let it continue. Anyone have guinea pigs? Do you think they would be suitable?

I have to point out that I will be the one doing the majority of the caring if/when this happens. She is not old enough to take full responsibility for carrying for anything. :)

Last edited:
i use to have 2 guinea pigs when i was younger and they are great! very easy to care for just feed and keep water clean. those little guys are great for kids, they are hilarious when they squeak :] they love being played with so that is a plus for children. just gotta keep the cage clean and give them some vitamins/calcium supplements once a month to keep them healthy. very good childrens pet

I have a guinea pig who will be turning 5 very soon. He is a joy to have but truly is a pig. He needs to live alone because he will bully anyone who may take his food.

i use to have 2 guinea pigs when i was younger and they are great! very easy to care for just feed and keep water clean. those little guys are great for kids, they are hilarious when they squeak :] they love being played with so that is a plus for children. just gotta keep the cage clean and give them some vitamins/calcium supplements once a month to keep them healthy. very good childrens pet

Awesome. She is so excited. :) the chickens went to their new home yesterday so we broke the news to make her feel better about it.

I have a guinea pig who will be turning 5 very soon. He is a joy to have but truly is a pig. He needs to live alone because he will bully anyone who may take his food.

What do you keep your guy in? We are looking at a two story wooden hutch but will be keeping it indoors. Looking into fleece bedding instead of paper or wood shavings and I'm going to line the whole thing with something water (and pee) proof to help protect the wood and avoid bacterial growth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom