Guppies are NOT the peaceful fish they seem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to say, I have had nothing but good experiences with guppies. But there are a few considerations beyond just male:female ratio. I consider live plants a must, and the more the better. They create a more natural environment that I find to be less stressful. Also, more plants means more hiding places and fewer direct lines of sight for the fish. It tricks them into thinking there are fewer fish and more space.
Another consideration is stocking levels. Like many cichlids, more is better. One two males will bicker if they can see each other at all. Six males (and correspondingly, 18 females) seems to have very little aggression. I don't necessarily understand the dynamic beyond spreading aggression out, but it seems more is better.
Live plants was something that I never tried, if I ever try keeping guppies again I will try that. I do keep a ton of artificial plants in my tank and when my guppies would spawn, the fry were able to hide and I even had one that lasted for about 2 months before he got too brave and ventured out a little too far. So I don't think it was the number of plants that was a problem but quite possibly the lack of live plants.

Personally, I've never understood any argument against live plants. And I'm quite sure the fish can tell the difference. Lol

I love guppies! I did have 3 pass away somewhat mysteriously though. Well I know 1 of them passed the other 2 passed mysteriously. I found one of the bodies, the other I could find at all and as far as I know I don't have any agressive fish in my tank.

I would love again again though, I know I did have some agression issues with them because I had all males or only 1 female. I would definitely try the 1:3 ratio for sure.

Teakwood said:
I won't ever try with guppies again. Even with lots of coverage they hang out and beat the crap out of each other all the time. Maybe they would be better in really big numbers, I dunno I just know ill stick with my angels and cory cats

Maybe you didn't have enough coverage. For instance some people think having two plants is a lot of coverage when really its not. Also is there a chance your angel was acting up he is a cichlid so he would try and stake out his territory.

Hobgob said:
Maybe you didn't have enough coverage. For instance some people think having two plants is a lot of coverage when really its not. Also is there a chance your angel was acting up he is a cichlid so he would try and stake out his territory.

It is possible there wasn't enough coverage, but I had 4 ish plants a couple caves, and tried to break up the line of sight and give hiding places. This started months before I ever got angels. They are not housed with angels now.(and were for only about 2 day)

I love guppies! I did have 3 pass away somewhat mysteriously though. Well I know 1 of them passed the other 2 passed mysteriously. I found one of the bodies, the other I could find at all and as far as I know I don't have any agressive fish in my tank.

I would love again again though, I know I did have some agression issues with them because I had all males or only 1 female. I would definitely try the 1:3 ratio for sure.

I bought 8 guppy's from PetSmart on black friday for 80 cents apiece, now I have 4. four of them vanished without a trace, the last one was shimmying (from another post a few days ago) then the next day, he vanished too. Bullying seems like the verdict now. :lol:

I just bought 7 from petsmart and less than a week later all but one are dead. I'm never buying fish from that petsmart again, but I have quite a few in my area. I bought other fish from another petsmart and they are doing great. I'm still kind of new, but I think it is the quality and care of the employees. I should have known better with that particular location because the employee didn't even know how to sex guppies. I mean really! guppies may be the easiest fish there is to sex...

I just bought 7 from petsmart and less than a week later all but one are dead. I'm never buying fish from that petsmart again, but I have quite a few in my area. I bought other fish from another petsmart and they are doing great. I'm still kind of new, but I think it is the quality and care of the employees. I should have known better with that particular location because the employee didn't even know how to sex guppies. I mean really! guppies may be the easiest fish there is to sex...

I'm sorry that happened! My petsmart is usually great and has very very knowledgable employees working in every section of the store. Granted, there is one of the other side of town that I almost refuse to go to. The workers are rude and are most certainly not there for the customers and animals. I hope you have better experiences really soon!!! :)

p.s. all of my guppies are from petsmart, I asked when they were expecting a shipment and went that day to pick them up. Maybe that's why my fish are healthier? If you want to buy fish from petsmart ever again, that's what I would do.

I don't mind one of my local petsmarts. I'm really lucky because I live in dfw and there are tons of both chain lps and specialty lfs within a thirty minute drive. In fact I live four blocks from one pet locality store that I love, but they don't have alot of selection that isn't sw or cichlids. I just shop around and enjoy meeting new fish people. Lol I can honestly saw I don't have more than three fish from the same store! And I have three tanks!!

I don't mind one of my local petsmarts. I'm really lucky because I live in dfw and there are tons of both chain lps and specialty lfs within a thirty minute drive. In fact I live four blocks from one pet locality store that I love, but they don't have alot of selection that isn't sw or cichlids. I just shop around and enjoy meeting new fish people. Lol I can honestly saw I don't have more than three fish from the same store! And I have three tanks!!

You're lucky to have good options. :) i like DFW. I used to go to Tarleton in Stephenville.

Neat! I have lived other places, but dfw is by far my favorite. It's so fun to have literally anything you want except snow or beaches within an hour drive.

Back
Top Bottom