Guppies in a Pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also thought about trying that. I'd like to hear if anyone has actually done it though. I think I remember hearing from someone that it doesn't go very well? that would be pretty cool to see a huge school of guppies swimming along though lol

I have several in tubs and a small pond. They are fine for most of the year here, but I bring them in prior to when we get cold snaps.

They are fairly hardy but not like goldfish, join, and mosquitofish.

Where a good place to get mosquito fish ? In Greenville south Carolina can't find any good place for fish except for PETCO and pet smart. Not a big fan of either.

You can typically get tham at some pond shops. I've kept mosquitofish and they can get aggressive and very nippy. Good luck

You can most likely find them in most any body of freshwater nearby your area. Drainage ditches and even some areas that flood after rains usually have them. They are easy to spot since they spend most of their time at the surface.

They can be collected with a dip net or a teeny tiny hook and bait.

I see them everywhere here. Check with local laws first before collecting, of course.

I found mosquito fish in my friends pond and she had no idea how they got there, she then found out that the DNR put a bunch of fry in there every few years to combat the horrible mosquito population here in Minnesota

The guppies are tropical fish, and provided you can keep the temperature of the pond at least in the 70's year round, they should do ok. I wouldn't let the temperature ever drop below 70, personally.
But, if you really want a beautiful small schooling fish, consider rainbow dace. Just a little minnow, but like all cyprinids, they'll eat mosquito larvae as happily as mosquito fish will, without being bullies about it.

Back
Top Bottom