Guppy fry dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to the pet store today to get a snail for one of my betta tanks, and when the girl scooped water to put in the bag I somehow ended up with what I'm pretty sure are two guppy fry. Right now I have them in one of those betta hexes (I only keep it just in case I might temporarily need it). I had some tropical fish food trial things and I took some and crushed it into powder and put some in there. I saw one of them grab a small piece and I have noticed that where there were quite a few pieces on the bottom there are just a few now, so they seem to be eating.

The dilemma is that I have never had guppies before, let alone fry. I have a 10 gallon that they could possibly go in but its occupied now by one small red cap oranda. I am still undecided on whether or not I should try to raise them or if I should just go ahead and feed them to my bettas. Perhaps I can get some opinions?

If you decide to keep them, they will need a tank with a heater as they are tropical fish. Guppies are the most easy fish to keep, they breed like crazy and when they grow to adults produce some amazing colors! I have a 10gal devoted just to them!

I agree with puffergirl - they are known to breed like crazy. Personally, I don't mind new fry every once in awhile, but I don't stop my adults from chowing down if they want. I'd be over stocked if I tried to save them all!

I do hear that bettas love fry, and giving them something live to chase is good for them.

Hmm. Sorry I couldn't help you decide. I'm surprised that the lfs ppl would overlook a couple of fry.

Well, the girl at the cash register saw them and asked if I got them intentionally or not. I told her no, so she just let me keep them and said she wasn't going to charge me for them. I wasn't going to turn down free fish / food, but either way I would have probably just paid the extra 50 cents or so.

To be honest, keeping them would be my first choice, and I do have a 5.5 gal tank that is not set up. They could go into it I suppose, once I get a place to put it. I also have a new heater thats never been used. I just ask for opinions because if it is thought that it is futile to try and raise them I might as well let the bettas have a snack.

If I am to keep them, I just wonder how often I should be feeding them. Twice a day? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom