Guppy fry dropping like flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tali931

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed recently that my guppy fry numbers are drastically dropping. The water conditions seem great.I have a 2.5 gallon cycled tank that houses my rcs so I moved about 15 healthiest fry into it to try to save them. All the rest in the main tank died but no adult fish have been affected.The main symptom I notice is the tails go completely clamped before they die and they swim funny. I started culling the sick looking fish so they don't get the other ones sick. All was going well until I noticed some of the ones in the 2.5 gallon seem to be getting the pin looking tail aswell. Any ideas what is going on? I have about ten fry left and don't want them to die:(

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 10 ph 7 temp 27 in both those tanks, weekly 50 % wc, and daily 10% all with dechlorinated water.

I've been doing lots of research and everything says they do that if I feed the fry brine shrimp which I don't.. If there is brine shrimp in the flakes could it be causing the pin tails?

I've been doing lots of research and everything says they do that if I feed the fry brine shrimp which I don't.. If there is brine shrimp in the flakes could it be causing the pin tails?

What flakes do you use to feed them? Do they have brine shrimp in the ingredients?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

is the food your feeding fresh , old flakes can get moldy an kill fish , young fish die first
I have always feed guppies brine shrimp with no problem I have lost some to tubiflex worms that they chocked on

is the food your feeding fresh , old flakes can get moldy an kill fish , young fish die first
I have always feed guppies brine shrimp with no problem I have lost some to tubiflex worms that they chocked on

+1 one of my fish died from rotten food because I didn't realize it had mold. I went out right away and got new food:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I don't think the food was old, between my seven tanks a jar of food doesn't last longer than a month and I always check expiry dates when I buy flakes. Apparently baby guppies are not suppose to get brine shrimp for the first week or so .. It's bad for them? Which causes pin tail and they die?.. Found that on a guppy forum. Still not sure what happened but I set up a ten gallon for the fry and they seem happier. The only thing that was different in my main tank where they originally were housed in is that my bristle nose pleco had babies.. Who knows but they are back to health:) thanks for all the input!

Yeah, I've always fed my guppy fry egg yolks. But I didn't know about brine shrimp then so... Incase I ever end up with more, this post was very helpful to me too.

Glad your fry are fine.

Sent from my iPhone

Oooh would you share pics of the baby plecos? I LOVE plecos but have never breeder them so if you don't mind posting a picture that would be awesome:D

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

They are pretty small and won't stop moving so hard to get a good pic but here's one from my fry tank..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 53
Thanks.. I'm surprised they bred since the parents are only about an inch long and the dad still doesn't have any bristles but it's my second batch in one month:)

Thanks.. I'm surprised they bred since the parents are only about an inch long and the dad still doesn't have any bristles but it's my second batch in one month:)

wow! maybe I could breed them too! I have only one though and i don't even know if he's a he or a she:/

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom