Guppy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have several guppies in a 10 gallon which are currently in QT. Once they pass QT they'll be moved into my 75 gallon where they'll be free to make as many babies as they want. I have Angelfish and other fish that will enjoy having a live food source (although I do still feel kind of guilty about doing this).

Anyway, I've had them for a few weeks (I've had to replace a couple due to deaths which is why they're still in QT) now and have and I can count at least 3 fry already. A friend of mine has asked I can "save" some fry for her daughter to set up a starter tank. I agreed so now she's started the fishless cycle. Another friend of mine has an empty tank and is also interested in taking some fry from me. My question is how big / old should the fry be before I move them? I'm assuming that they'll be pretty sensitive at such a young age. Right now they're probably about 1/4" (maybe a little smaller).

you might want to watch out, the parents tend to eat the fry. i'd say scoop up a one gallon tank with a bare bottom and keep'em in there.

I have caught fry in a cup I was dumping water into a bag with to send to some of the larger ones to a new home, they did fine. As long as they don't care if they are sexed you can probably do it the way I did it. I have purple moscows breeding like crazy. I actually put a small angelfish in the tank for a few days just to help thin out the tank.

Fromthelbc, thanks. I'm not to concerned about the parents eating the fry. I know that they'll breed like crazy so if they want to help keep the numbers down that's ok. :)

joy13, thanks, that's what I was looking for. I just didn't want to unintentionally kill them by moving them prematurely. The people who will be taking them don't care if they're males or females. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer just for my own piece of mind before moving them. :)

I just received 5 guppies in a trade about a month ago and they have had babies already. I am in the same situation, I have caught all the fry and have put them in my 10 gallon QT tank. So far I have had my 29 g tank for 2 months and my black molly, my sailfin molly, and my Platy have all had babies. I could not see them all get eaten, so I put and offer for the fry on Freecyle and had takers for all of them. I will put another add into Freecycle to find a home for my guppy fry. I don't know what I'm gonna do if this keeps up. I wonder, if they have birthcontrol pills for fish.

Back
Top Bottom