Guppy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
There are 5 females in mt tank right now and 3 of them are swimming in a strange way. They start at the bottom and zoom to the top and fall back to the bottom. This is a freshly fishless cycled tank and I lost one male this morning, most likely to the stress of being new. The water tested perfect at 0/0/5. This is my fisrt time having gups so I really dont know how they behave. Any ideas are grewatly appreciated.

Well, my tanks are cycled, and mine do the same thing LOL, which is why I laugh at them all day! They also put themselves in the bubbles and shoot themselves to the surface. They're crazy. :)

LOL I heard they were nuts...yea I guess I am just paranoid from losing a male this morning. I guess they are feeling abit more at home now...got them on tuesday.

Yeah, probably just acclimating. Mine think their mommies are the loaches lol, so they copy everything they do.

hahaha Yes I have feel in love with guppies, although my first love is still cichlids

There are 5 females in mt tank right now and 3 of them are swimming in a strange way. They start at the bottom and zoom to the top and fall back to the bottom. This is a freshly fishless cycled tank and I lost one male this morning, most likely to the stress of being new. The water tested perfect at 0/0/5. This is my fisrt time having gups so I really dont know how they behave. Any ideas are grewatly appreciated.
Perfect at 0/0/5? What at 5 is perfect?

My Nitrates are typically not measurable, but I understand not everyone has as low a starting point. When I was testing I found above 5ppm I saw behavior changes and once I hit 10ppm I saw an increase in Algae, so I see 5ppm as put off the water change...
As for guppies, as long as the tail is moving during the maneuvers it is probably playing. If the tail is rigid but the other fins are moving it is likley a sign of distress.

There are 5 females in mt tank right now and 3 of them are swimming in a strange way. They start at the bottom and zoom to the top and fall back to the bottom. .

One of my mollies does exactly that. Again just new to the tank. He's very sure about what he wants to do, and any fish in the way get pushed aside.

Last I saw however he'd taken to swimming into the filter outflow and getting pushed across the tank, then swimming back and doing it again!

Back
Top Bottom