Guppy tank dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
10g tank-

We do weekly 50% water changes and it was cycled and things were fine. Then we changed the gravel to sand and I added some root tabs. Now the nitrites are spiking and it looks like a mini-cycle? One guppy has died suddenly - and another has the signs of dropsy. I'm did one water change last night and another this morning. The guppy died this afternoon and the other one's fins are sticking out.

Besides another water change is there medication I should use? I have maracyn on hand but that probably isn't the one I need, of course.

Should I move any fish with no symptoms out? ( I have a female Betta and male guppies in there) should I leave everyone in the tank and just do back to back water changes? Ack! Help!

Yes, a mini-cycle from losing bacteria from the gravel. Dont panic- water changes, water changes, water changes is the best thing you can do & the best med you can offer here. The dropsied guppy may or may not recover- healthy water & hope for the best. Keep a close on eye on your parameters & do water changes as needed until your bb catch up & things stabilize.

jlk said:
Yes, a mini-cycle from losing bacteria from the gravel. Dont panic- water changes, water changes, water changes is the best thing you can do & the best med you can offer here. The dropsied guppy may or may not recover- healthy water & hope for the best. Keep a close on eye on your parameters & do water changes as needed until your bb catch up & things stabilize.

Thanks!! I did another water change tonight and everyone is looking more perky. I'll test again in the morning with another water change. I'd forgotten about the mini-cycle possibility- kicking myself because I should have remembered to watch the parameters more closely. My fingers are crossed for poor little dropsy guppy. His name is Happy - a beauty of a lyretail guppy. I'll post an update in the morning.

This morning before water change the readings are 0 ammonia and 2 nitrites. I predict a day of water changes ahead of me. Everyone is alive still- a few show no signs of stress or lethargy and are eating normally. Happy is still among the living and I have moved him to his own qt tank. Is dropsy due to water conditions contagious?

Dropsy is a symptom & not an actual disease itself. It can be caused by poor water conditions, an internal infection, a virus or a parasite & determining the exact cause of the symptoms can be difficult. In your case, the toxin spikes created an issue here & its not contagious. Just stay on top of your water changes until everything calms down & no one else should be affected. You can add a small amount of epsom salts to Happys qt (1/8 teaspoon per gallon predissolved in tank water) to help with fluid retention or you can give him an epsom salt bath 1x a day (dont do both- 1 or the other). For a bath, dissolve 1 teaspoon epsom salts per gallon of temp-matched, conditioned water. Stick Happy in there for 15mins & watch him closely. If he starts to roll/flip over, remove him immediately back to the tank. After 15mins, remove him quickly back to his tank. Good luck!!

Ok, cool. Thanks so much for the details! Just did a water change and will test again soon. I really appreciate your help!!

image-731789493.jpg

Featherbottom observes Happy's behavior in the Epsom salt bath.

Attachments

• image-2869537393.jpg
    image-2869537393.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 66
jlk said:
Thats too cute! Just make sure he doesnt become a meal...

He tolerated the salt bath well so I'll do it again tomorrow. Featherbottom did attempt to poke at him but I don't think she liked her paws getting wet!

Thats good! You can feed him some cooked, deshelled mashed peas too to keep his digestive tract functioning smoothly. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom