Guppy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my son is wrangling for some guppies. And I have to admit they are pretty, and I really want some endler's livebearers...

So in a ten gallon tank, would five of each be happy?

I'd be cool with that. Just wanted to check it wouldn't be like "guppies have to be kept in schools of 30 in a 55 g tank" or something... Just kidding! ;)

Dude I would suggest a bigger tank but if you go with the 10 then I suggest you be ready for the cleaning. Guppies poop their weight everyday lol I think you would actually be better to buy endlers and endler guppy hybrids. The hybrids can look like mini skinny guppys with cool colors. My red fire guppy bred with some endler (scarlet I think) and it made a mini guppy with sweet colors. Long tail and everything. We put like 5 of them in a 5.5 gallon tank and it was squeaky clean.

VioletEmber said:
Yeah, I was thinking about that-- is it ok to get all males or would that be a bad idea?

Yes I would get all males unless you want hundreds of fry. The endlers and guppies will interbreed and both reproduce like rabbits.

Aces11 said:
Yes I would get all males unless you want hundreds of fry. The endlers and guppies will interbreed and both reproduce like rabbits.

Be carefull when having an all male guppy school.
Like in the navy being stuck in a confined space with other men does them no good.
On a seriouse note,
Males will be aggressive and nip each others fins if you dont change the decorations order every 2 months or so.
This breaks territory lines and they wil not fight so frequently :).

lol my male endler always tried to........"enjoy" my male guppies lol I guess he figured "your bigger than me, you must be a girl!" lol

Hee hee... Thanks for the tip on moving decorations! And if I do just the endler's then I can have ... 10? 7? Any little loach or something? A dwarf gourami?

VioletEmber said:
Hee hee... Thanks for the tip on moving decorations! And if I do just the endler's then I can have ... 10? 7? Any little loach or something? A dwarf gourami?

If you did endler's and wanted other fish I would do a breeding group of five.

Not a DG, IMO it's not big enough for one. Maybe a honey gourami or a trio of sparkling gourami.

For loaches all I can think of are khuli loaches, but those are iffy in ten gallon tanks.

I would stick to 5-10 males and shrimp for the bottom. Maybe a group of pygmy cories, but start with the guppies and then check how your water quality is ;)

I agree that Endlers are awesome! I much prefer them to guppies. Guppy-endler hybrids are so beautiful!

GodFan said:
lol my male endler always tried to........"enjoy" my male guppies lol I guess he figured "your bigger than me, you must be a girl!" lol

Ok, so that is exactly what is happening in my tank now and my poor guppies (I think they are a hybrid) are getting stressed. Two guppies to three endler's. Would getting a few more guppies help?

As far as I can tell everyone is a male. 10g tank, 3 endler's ( I think a tiger endler's) and 2 lyretail guppies.

As an experiment, I put one female Betta in there who was being bullied in another tank. I wanted to see if having a fish bigger than all of them would stop the infighting. It seems to have helped a tiny bit, but I can take her out if need be.

You definetly will see an inprovement if you add females. I had that same problem till I added the females.

I have 3 f to each male and everyone gets along great! There's plenty of mating going on in there.

GodFan said:

Lol mine did that with my male platies!

Back
Top Bottom