Guys please confirm what im dreading? ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's one regarding tissue damage that I keep in my favorites and I'll find the other in regards to WC's. http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/ich.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And here's another in regards to WC's and secondary infections. http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1285.0

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The first is just a warning, not an actual instance where it's happened. I'll file that away with all the other warnings about things that don't happen. But that's really besides the point, which was the impact of a weeks worth of nitrates on a fishs immune system. I'm certainly not going to argue that water changes are good for healing injuries and preventing secondary infections from those injuries....in general. But ich is not one of those injuries.

The first is just a warning, not an actual instance where it's happened. I'll file that away with all the other warnings about things that don't happen. But that's really besides the point, which was the impact of a weeks worth of nitrates on a fishs immune system. I'm certainly not going to argue that water changes are good for healing injuries and preventing secondary infections from those injuries....in general. But ich is not one of those injuries.
How exactly does ich cause a fish to die?

ok so we are done, well we were clear about a week ago. Unfortunately I lost both clowns and both rams in the process. :(
Pretty bummed about that tbh..

I think my main issue with treating this was that I had a tough time keeping a constant temp of 87.
I only had 1 x 300W in the tank to start, and only after a week did I manage to get another 150W. I also added 2tsp of Kosher salt per 1 G (slowly) but at this time I think the fish that had it were too far gone.

So I am left with 4 ornate tetras, 1 emperor tetra, 2 guppy's and one Kuhli who all seem to be in good health. I dropped the temp back down to 80 and I have doing my 30% weeklies wc's so the salt should be out of there in the next couple of wc's.

not a nice experience, I know it was all due to one sick ram that I got from a LFS, that I will not go back too.

So looking forward I am going to switch out my heating setup and add my 12x 36W inline UV + 2 x 200W eth inline heaters. I figure my UV will help with algae and any free floating bad stuff and is somewhat a step towards safeguarding the tank when adding new fish (as I cant accommodate a QT tank) and if anything happens again adjusting temps via the inline heaters under the tank will be a hell of a lot easier than it was this time around.

Thanks for all your help and comments...

Back
Top Bottom