Had to put a guppy down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a fancy guppy that was not swimming much very pale think the other guppies were attacking since his tail was almost gone just want to know if I put him down the right way.... Put him in some water and put him in the freezer was that the best way to put him down

xfactor6699 said:
I have a fancy guppy that was not swimming much very pale think the other guppies were attacking since his tail was almost gone just want to know if I put him down the right way.... Put him in some water and put him in the freezer was that the best way to put him down

For tropical fish that is not considered an option. Whatever choice you make has to be instant and painless. Putting them in a freezer is not either of those things...but I won't share the details :-(

Here's a sticky from this site to read over if you have to deal with it again in the future-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

If you fill a container with salted ice water that's a pretty much instant death also. I leave them in for a good 20-30 minutes just to make sure.

I wouldn't put the fish in water and then into the freezer though that sounds rather drawn out.

One of the fastest methods is to remove the head with a sharp knife or scissors, or put the fish into a bag and smash with a blunt object, but most are not up for going that route for obvious reasons.

eco23 said:
For tropical fish that is not considered an option. Whatever choice you make has to be instant and painless. Putting them in a freezer is not either of those things...but I won't share the details :-(

Here's a sticky from this site to read over if you have to deal with it again in the future-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

Sry didn't know i pulled it from another thread that said its the best way to put down fish

jetajockey said:
If you fill a container with salted ice water that's a pretty much instant death also. I leave them in for a good 20-30 minutes just to make sure.

I wouldn't put the fish in water and then into the freezer though that sounds rather drawn out.

One of the fastest methods is to remove the head with a sharp knife or scissors, or put the fish into a bag and smash with a blunt object, but most are not up for going that route for obvious reasons.

It sounds awful...but I agree with Jetajockey and what I call the bag and brick method, if you have the stomach to do it. I've always been afraid of the ice method because I've worried if the water isn't cold enough there will be a delay before they are put out of their misery...but that is the method I've heard is considered best. I think clove oil (?) is also considered fast and humane. I believe it's covered in the sticky.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post ill tag it for future need sry for the wrong doing first thought it was a good method

Thanks for the post ill tag it for future need sry for the wrong doing first thought it was a good method

No need to be sorry...lesson learned. I learned it too the hard way. I had a Bala Shark years and years ago...and placing him in the freezer was actually the advice I got from out local Veterinarian when I called to ask the best option.

I've learned since then about how their metabolism works and that it's not necessarily a humane option. I've heard to never listen to the lfs...but the thought of not listening to my Vet about fish never crossed my mind :(

So this may sound terrible, but not long ago my son dumped a bottle of primafix into our tank. Within two minutes the fish acted drunk and were belly up within 2.5 minutes. If I had to choose from being smashed with a brick or getting so drunk I fell into perma sleep think I would choose the later.

Big.Jon said:
So this may sound terrible, but not long ago my son dumped a bottle of primafix into our tank. Within two minutes the fish acted drunk and were belly up within 2.5 minutes. If I had to choose from being smashed with a brick or getting so drunk I fell into perma sleep think I would choose the later.

I've never heard of that method, and I'd seriously research the reaction that causes it before trying to recreate it. Even if that works...as you said, it's still 2.5 minutes of potential suffering (fish can't tell us if it hurts or not). Personally as rough as it sounds...a brick is instant and painless. I can't believe I'm in a thread advocating hitting fish with bricks, lol.

eco23 said:
I've never heard of that method, and I'd seriously research the reaction that causes it before trying to recreate it. Even if that works...as you said, it's still 2.5 minutes of potential suffering (fish can't tell us if it hurts or not). Personally as rough as it sounds...a brick is instant and painless. I can't believe I'm in a thread advocating hitting fish with bricks, lol.

Wow what did I start lol

Euthanasia is a touchy subject for some. I prefer the icy water method. put a cup of water in the freezer until it has some ice floating, but isn't solid, put the fish in. I usually put it back in the freezer for a little while, but the temp shock is almost instantly fatal.

Sadly I have had some experience with having to put one of my Guppies out of it's discomfort. I used a clove oil, followed by pure vodka method, which seemed very quick, and less stressful for both my fish & myself.

The clove oil acts as an anaesthetic, and the Vodka means that they don't wake up after. Always a tough thing to have to do & I found this was by far the most humane way I could find.

If you salt the water and put ice in it/put it in the freezer prior to euthanizing, you'll drop the freezing temp of the water down. It works great, every fish I've done this stops instantly.

The whole clove oil/vodka thing feels a bit too contrived for me. I guess maybe because I don't ever have either on hand.

jetajockey said:
If you salt the water and put ice in it/put it in the freezer prior to euthanizing, you'll drop the freezing temp of the water down. It works great, every fish I've done this stops instantly.

The whole clove oil/vodka thing feels a bit too contrived for me. I guess maybe because I don't ever have either on hand.

I must say that I find it pretty hard to have to dispatch any of my fish, but once you add the clove oil they literally fall asleep in less than five seconds. I guess it's all down to personal choice. Some might say it's a waste of good vodka, but as it's not my drink of choice I don't my using it from the cupboard. Havana Club rum, now that may be a different matter! :)

With me it's not really that I consider it wasteful, I just don't have liquor or clove oil at home so it's just not convenient. I honestly think that's where the particular arose from, using stuff readily found in the home.

Back
Top Bottom