Hair algae, HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bpham80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I need help with a major hair algae problem, I have been dealing with for a few months. Some background, started tank in August it was bought from a very successful reefer and only came with the sand he used plus a about 25 gallons of water from his reef tank which appeared to have no issues. It is a 110 gallon tank with built in over flow and custom made sump underneath has a oceanic 65 protein skimmer(think that's the name/model). I originally starter with a coralife 4 bulb t-5 @ 65 watts per bulb. Switched to exotic sun 120 watt led fixtures have two of them(tank is 48" wide). I have four damsels, two clowns and a Benny so far for fish, I have a serpent star, about 20 Astraea snails, three turbos, and a mix of about 40 blue and red leg hermits, had 2 emerald crabs but one died, I have two cleaner clams and 1 peppermint shrimp. I added one price of small coral just to see how it would do. I have been dealing with hair algae for a few months now, I have taking rock out and used a toothbrush as I see it on the rock, I do a 25% WC every week and right before I do I scrub all my walls and razor off and algae off the glass plus siphon the hair off the sand as I remove water. All my parameters are where they should be. My tank will stay clear for a few days after I do a WC but the hair keeps coming back, please help any advice is helpful. Thank you.

Are you using tap water? How long are you leaving your lights on for?

I had the same problem in my 125 gal tank before I tore it down. I tried all sorts of lighting changes (different color temp, different timing, etc) but nothing really made a difference. I'm not sure how to advise here.

Wingshear

Try dosing with UltraLife Red Slime Remover. I had hair algae on my 100 gallon tank and also redslime (cyano) and it all went away. After dosing I continued doing 20% water changes every week. And I also put two bags of chemi pure elite. If you dose with UltraLife Red Slime Remover you have to turn off your skimmer for a couple of days

First off, welcome to AA :)! You have to find the source of this problem, so I don't recommend using slime removers. Since you are using RO water and not RO/DI water there will be dissolved solids in the water and phosphates which is what hair algae and cyano feeds off of. Hair algae also feeds off of of nitrates. Your nitrates and phosphates probably read as zero, but it's because the algae is using it up. To solve this problem, use RO/DI water because really your water is the main source of the issue. You can also do more frequent water changes, and drain the water of frozen foods b/c some foods contain phosphates/don't overfeed. What is your water change cycle? You can also have a phosban reactor w/ GFO or a bag w/ GFO to get rid of phosphates. The algae won't disappear right away, but these are ways to get rid of it.

First off, welcome to AA :)! You have to find the source of this problem, so I don't recommend using slime removers. Since you are using RO water and not RO/DI water there will be dissolved solids in the water and phosphates which is what hair algae and cyano feeds off of. Hair algae also feeds off of of nitrates. Your nitrates and phosphates probably read as zero, but it's because the algae is using it up. To solve this problem, use RO/DI water because really your water is the main source of the issue. You can also do more frequent water changes, and drain the water of frozen foods b/c some foods contain phosphates/don't overfeed. What is your water change cycle? You can also have a phosban reactor w/ GFO or a bag w/ GFO to get rid of phosphates. The algae won't disappear right away, but these are ways to get rid of it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about the slime remover, though good idea, I have used it in the past and even with shutting down all my skimmers and pumps I feel that stuff still causes extra issues, though it does take care of the issue at hand, but rips through a system like acid! I do have a ro/di sorry I was being lazy and short typing! My TDS meter has be checked and calibrated recently, my tds still reads 0 on water that I make. I do my water changes every Sunday or Monday and usually do about 20%. The only thing I don't have is a gfo. So I will get that and give it a try and follow up, oh and cut the light off an hour earlier!!! Thanks for the help

Pictures

I had some extra time today figured I would post pics of my tank and the HA problem I am having. I did a water change on Monday and was able to scrub most of it off, the over flow box was covered as was the back wall and my heater. So far I have only seen a little come back or some that I missed. Figured I would put up pics and maybe you guys can identify the brown I am getting a little better than I can. Thanks

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 140
  • image 3.jpg
    image 3.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image 4.jpg
    image 4.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 145
  • image 5.jpg
    image 5.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 138
That's a pretty deep sand bed to have disturbed. Could be a lot of the problem used sand could be full of waste that's feeding the algae just my 2cent

Also I think you should consider some more live rock to help with filtering the coral life 65 is great Skimmer I have one on a 30g I think a 110 might be a little much for it

That's a pretty deep sand bed to have disturbed. Could be a lot of the problem used sand could be full of waste that's feeding the algae just my 2cent

Not necessarily... if the gravel back is used in the sand it shouldn't matter... but I agree the more sand more chances of this happening... remember to be thorough

Sand can contain silicates which leads to diatoms, but it doesn't look like a DSB so I don't think it would cause the algae bloom.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I need help with a major hair algae problem, I have been dealing with for a few months. Some background, started tank in August it was bought from a very successful reefer and only came with the sand he used plus a about 25 gallons of water from his reef tank which appeared to have no issues. It is a 110 gallon tank with built in over flow and custom made sump underneath has a oceanic 65 protein skimmer(think that's the name/model). I originally starter with a coralife 4 bulb t-5 @ 65 watts per bulb. Switched to exotic sun 120 watt led fixtures have two of them(tank is 48" wide). I have four damsels, two clowns and a Benny so far for fish, I have a serpent star, about 20 Astraea snails, three turbos, and a mix of about 40 blue and red leg hermits, had 2 emerald crabs but one died, I have two cleaner clams and 1 peppermint shrimp. I added one price of small coral just to see how it would do. I have been dealing with hair algae for a few months now, I have taking rock out and used a toothbrush as I see it on the rock, I do a 25% WC every week and right before I do I scrub all my walls and razor off and algae off the glass plus siphon the hair off the sand as I remove water. All my parameters are where they should be. My tank will stay clear for a few days after I do a WC but the hair keeps coming back, please help any advice is helpful. Thank you.

I wouldnt disturb the sand this will release any nutrient bound by the sand and i wouldnt scrub the rock with toothbrush this only spreads the algae these two things are not helpful in battleing ha first thing cut light back second thing pull as much as you can out by hand this will remove nutrients from your system the algae you pull out obviously contains nutrients and are you using a refugium?

:nono:Funny thing.. I was thinking I don't have enugh flow. The only flow I really have right now comes from the over flow and return, though the return is a mag 900 so its pretty strong. I was thinking about the sand as well(though as someone mention distrubing it could be even worse). Honestly I bought the tank from a guy who has several tanks setup in his house and they are beautiful and full of awesome corals and life, so for whatever reason I am an idiot and for the first month or so I would listen to his word as though he was the God of Reefing, eventually telling him to piss off cause every idea I had was a bad one, "you don't need a 20 gallon sump it will be too big, you shouldn't use LEDs they will bleach the corals" Etc. My sump works fine, if anything I wish I had a bigger one! I love LEDs, hello no bulb replacements every 6-8 months! Ok rant done. Thant being said he did give me his sand to start, so I keep thinking what might have come in that sand and should I pull it all out and start with fresh sand? As far as more live rock I am getting more, I have been doing my research becuase since I have some live rock in there I am thinking abouyt getting dry rock(thoughts?), which brings me to my next point/question. I have coraline alage growing all over my was and every where in my sump tank, should that be helping win the battle against nuiscance algaes?

I may be wrong but I think turbo snails eat hair algae. Not 100% sure though so someone will need to confirm it.

Some snails will eat it but in my experience not enough to help once the ha takes over like this a seahare on the other hand will devour it but nutrient control is your best defense

You should defense invest in some power heads that will help with your problems a lot 900 gph is no where close to enough in a 110g tank I personalty shoot for 12x turnover or better I like to have as much flow as possible without a sand storm as far as a 20g sump being to big that's crazy the bigger the better

You should defense invest in some power heads that will help with your problems a lot 900 gph is no where close to enough in a 110g tank I personalty shoot for 12x turnover or better I like to have as much flow as possible without a sand storm as far as a 20g sump being to big that's crazy the bigger the better

Agree 30-50x turnover is reccommended

Back
Top Bottom