Hair Algae (yeah I know), but this one is different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heya guys,

Thought someone might be able to give me some insightful information. My tank has a terrible problem with hair algae. I can remove clumps of this stuff every week if I wanted to that is how much is in my tank.

Anyway, I know how to remove the stuff (at least I think I do) but there appears to be some strange water params. Both my PO4 and NO3 is zero. I even took a sample down to the LFS to confirm it. He couldn't believe I had zero NO3. He swore I gave him a sample of newly mixed SW. Guess my DSB is still working along.

Anyway... So, I went ahead and reduced the photo period to approx 5 hrs which is half of what is usually is. I am also going to be doing weekly water changes of approx 10 gallons (40 gallon tank w/sump).

I am also going to be adding some more snails and hermits to the tank. I don't have nearly enough animal power in the cleaning crew department so I thought this would be as good of a time as any to get that up to where it needs to be.

The PC's also need to be changed. I am sure I have had the 03 PC's in for at least a year. The MH is probably also needs to be changed so I guess I will look into that as well.

Any other suggestions? My alk is low: 4.5dkh which may be part of the problem. This is due to me slacking off on water changes over the last 3-4 months so this should begin to creep back up with the water changes I am going to start doing.

Any idea on why this stuff would be taking over the tank with 0 PO4 and 0 NO3?

those tests can still read zero since the algea is present, it is feeding off of it to make it zero. scrub as much as you can and remove and do pwc regularly. how much are you feeding? turbo snails may help, or other algea eating snails/hermits.

vsnsofadrgn said:
those tests can still read zero since the algea is present, it is feeding off of it to make it zero. scrub as much as you can and remove and do pwc regularly. how much are you feeding? turbo snails may help, or other algea eating snails/hermits.

I feed very little. Every other day feedings and what they leave over that is still floating on the top I scoop off with a net and remove.

I firmly believe that I am simply "undermanned" in the cleanup crew business. That will be fixed shortly.

You can get a lawnmower blenny. My tore into my hair algae. It's totally gone and now he eats flakes and brine shrimp.

Water changes to remove whatever is feeding it and replacement of old bulbs will probably cure your problem.

I just went through 2 months of this with mine. It has been setup for almost 2 years algae free untill now. The biggest mistake I made was moving the algae with the ph's on. Once it crossed the powerheads path it blew all over the place. From there, it was water changes and reduced photo periods. However, after replacing my pc bulbs, the problem finally went away a lot faster. These are only 5 months old, but I guess the number of hours used determined the life of the bulbs.

As another suggestion, if you haven't already done so, make sure there is plenty of water flow and no dead spots in the tank. HTH

BTW - How are you Brenden?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom