Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssky

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have nuisance Algae growth on my sand bed. Its hair Algae. I have been trying several methods to control it but with little success. I got the water tested at my local LFS but everything came out normal. My LFS has suggested to get either a lawn mower blenny or a kole tang. What do you guys suggest. My tank is 46 gallon no Sump. Bio load is

2 clownfish
1 chromis
1 corris wrasse
1 bi color blenny.

I do have some soft Corals as well.

The blenny just sits on top of the rocks and has never come down to the sand bed so I think there would no conflict of interest if I go for another blenny.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have a lawn mower blenny and I have absolutely no hair algae. I'm not sure if multiple blenny's will cause a problem so I would look into that. It seems like a kole tang would eat the hair algae also, so it's really up to you. The kole tang is a little more expensive and pretty, but lawn mowers are cool to watch disappear with their camouflage and their a little cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Algae issues are a sign of parameter issues with nitrates and phosphates. So I would highly doubt the LFS's tests and their advice to add more livestock that will eat and poop in the tank. Water changes with ro/di water are the solution. There are two articles in my signature all ab out algae battles.

I agree with hank on this , I would suggest do 2 50% water changes back to back
This will help drop nitrates and phosphates and just keep up on your regular weekly water changes , and you should see that hair die of rapidly over the next week or so
once you see it starting to die off , do some small water changes till it's fully gone .
hank gave you a few good articles about controlling algae here is one more
Getting Rid of Green Hair Algae | Melev's Reef

hope they help

I`m going to post what I just posted on someone elses thread. It`s true in your case also.

The best way to refresh a tank is with frequent PWC`s. This will add needed essential elements and dilute excessive nutrients in the tank that are feeding the algae. In the meantime also try to remove as much of the algae by hand as possible. If it is on rock or tank side rubberband a toothbrush on the end of a small plastic hose and scrub with the toothbrush while siphoning the hose during PWC`s. This will help your tank to start to look like new. Remember that it did not happen over night and it wont clear up over night. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

Thanks to all of you. I had been doing a 10% change every two weeks. I will increase to weekly with some big changes right away. Now let me get started on it. I also feel my LFS was trying to sell me more live stock which I was hesitant to add.

Thanks for all the good advice.

If you have 1 lbs per gallon, you are just fine when it comes to rock and sand.

Yes I have close to 30 pounds of live sand and 50 pounds of live rock in the system so I think I am covered there but alot of people are suggesting to get a skimmer. I on the other hand say that since my system is only 50 gallon I can get away by doing a little more frequent water changes. What do you guys think? One reason I may go to the skimmer approach is if it allows me to add a couple more fishes. My bio load is in the original post.

Thanks

You can get away with more frequent water changes. I usually say under 30 gallons can get away with skimmerless since it is easier to do much larger water changes. I would add a skimmer to the system, but not add anything until you have the problem at hand under control.

I would say go with the extra PWC`s. It will be better and essential elements will be added.

Hanks right your problem is your water quality and maybe the lighting. How long are the lights on each day.

I would never recommend doing more than a 40% water change unless your fish were in danger. Changing that much water messes with your pH buffers and could shock and kill your fish. Do a 25% water change weekly and (as long as you don't have corals) keep the lights off for a week or so.

Understand what the algae needs. Nitrates phosphates and light. Doing water changes more often, adding a small bag of phosphate remover to the sump and kill the lights and your issues sound be as good as solved.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

My lights are on 12 hours a day@ 70% intensity. I have orbit marine pro led (48 inch). Over the weekend I did a manual cleanup of sand bed, picking up as much as I could. I am posting some of the pictures of the algae so that you guys can see what I have in my tank. I will also start doing weekly water change of 5 gallons (10%).

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 78
To get the nutrients under control. you'll probably want to do larger water changes to get them where you want to be right off the bat. If your nitrates were 40, for example, a 50% water change would bring them down to 20. 10% are simply managing the ever growing number.

Back
Top Bottom