Hairy Alage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stray_dog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been keeping the "artificial" light off but for 1-2 hours a day and I still am having probs with a hairy green algae. What should I do now ? I would prefer NOT using chemicals but if that's the only alternative which would be the best one for my 55gal aquarium w/ guppies, 4 different kinds of tetras, some oto cats, female betta and etc.? I would prefer that my nice golden snails also survive !

Hairy Algae

This 55gal tank has been setup for 6 months or longer. I previously removed all the living plants, castles, rocks and replaced it with artificial plants but they still keep growing more of the algae. The aquarium gets NO direct sun as the drapes are always closed during the day( I do live in so. Cal. so some filtered light surely comes through though ).

is your tap water high in phosphates? here in town we have a terrible time with people who don't use purified water getting hair algea. Just a thought

Hairy Algae

I use filtered water but I do add minerals, electrolytes, salt etc. to it. I do not exceed their recommendations and attempt to stay "right in the middle" with all additives, temperature etc..

do you test your water at all?

If so what do you test for and what are your test results.

Back
Top Bottom