Half of the tank is dead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Woke up this morning, turned on the Aquarium lights, and there were dead fish everywhere. My ph is 6.5, Ammon. is yellow, (can't remember #s) Nitrite is nice and blue, and the nitrate is about 2.5. The fish are nose up and bobbing near the top. Lost 3 cory, 5 tetra, 2 archers, 2 guppies, one neon, and my heart.

I did a 80-90% water change just incase, did all the numbers again, and its all where it should be. Nothing new to the tank, haven't done anything different than the usual stuff. I just don't understand it. Any help please.

Did the heater malfunction? If any of your fish survived, which ones?

I do not think so. The heater got turned off this morning for the WC, and we watch the temp as we put it in, and I watched when we turned it and everything back on. The ones that survived: one BGR, 6 guppies, 2 glo-danios but they are not doing so great, 3 cory that are moving really slow... 2 otos. And a really small guppy fry!! Most are not looking so good, gulping, moving slow or not at all. All of a sudden there will be one laying in a plant dead.

I do not think so. The heater got turned off this morning for the WC, and we watch the temp as we put it in, and I watched when we turned it and everything back on. The ones that survived: one BGR, 6 guppies, 2 glo-danios but they are not doing so great, 3 cory that are moving really slow... 2 otos. And a really small guppy fry!! Most are not looking so good, gulping, moving slow or not at all. All of a sudden there will be one laying in a plant dead.

Maybe a chemical got into the water somehow and poisoned the fish. Maybe an air freshening agent was used nearby and it happened to get into the water?

When was the last water change? Are you using city water or a private well?

I have had cichlids flip out at night killing dozens of fish, this happened last week to me with a Thorichthys pasiones who killed 4 other cichlids and 3 tetras overnight.

Last edited:
Don't use air fresheners, or anything like that. This is in the dining room, I protect my tanks like they are babies. Even my husband knows not to touch them, EVER!

I wish I knew what was wrong, but if you haven't done anything wrong or out of the ordinary... I'm afraid I can't help :( did you feed them anything like bloodworms etc.?

Have city water and it has been tested. I it perfect for the tank. Last water change was 5 days ago, perfect numbers. Tested this morning, perfect numbers, but did about an 85% WC about 9:00am. Checked water again at about 11:15, still good. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I didn't wash my hands with fresh water only.
Fed them the usual - flakes, tubeworms, and every other day algae tablets for the bottom feeders.

Hukit, what was the cause of your fish problem????

Thank you all for trying to help. It is a comfort knowing that someone cares,.

Have city water and it has been tested. I it perfect for the tank. Last water change was 5 days ago, perfect numbers. Tested this morning, perfect numbers, but did about an 85% WC about 9:00am. Checked water again at about 11:15, still good. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I didn't wash my hands with fresh water only.
Fed them the usual - flakes, tubeworms, and every other day algae tablets for the bottom feeders.,.

They could have been flushing the system which is somewhat common, but since that was 5 days ago I would lean towards aggression.

Hukit, what was the cause of your fish problem????

Thank you all for trying to help. It is a comfort knowing that someone cares,.

Agression, it's not uncommon for them to get kill tankmates especially after the lights go out.

They could have been flushing the system which is somewhat common, but since that was 5 days ago I would lean towards aggression.

Agression, it's not uncommon for them to get kill tankmates especially after the lights go out.

But from who? Everything I have in there is passive. My ram is the only big thing in there, a GBR and he is very docile. Just is nothing I can comprehend. Thank you.

But from who? Everything I have in there is passive. My ram is the only big thing in there, a GBR and he is very docile. Just is nothing I can comprehend. Thank you.

Really the only possiblities are water contamination or aggression, I don't see very many scenarios besides those.

Did the fish show any damage?

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I lost 13 fish in one day. My husband sprayed air freshner allbthe time and id always say not in the room with tank.....I think it was a chemical build up over time.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130608_114025.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130608_114025.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20130608_114109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130608_114109.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 75
The only damage there was is the normal decay of the fish that comes from being in there dead overnight. One was stuck to the intake sponge, but is again, was just normal looking. Just looked, everyone is swimming okay, slowly, not playing as usual. My ten g. is just a breeding type tank. Growing 10 male guppies in there, was going to transfer a few into the 20 when they were bigger for breeding. It is fine, and I do the same everything to it as I do the 20. Guess this will be just one of those "?" things.

Thomasina, just noticed this thread, im so sorry to hear you've lost some of your fish :( how's your others doing now?

I have another one thats going. I'll be fishing it out soon. Thanks for asking. I just don't understand it... There are a few more that are really weak also, 2 glow-danio and another tetra. All I have left really are a ram, 2 ottos, 2 cory, 4 guppies, 2 guppy fry. I'll change water again tomorrow, and add more PRIME today. Don't know what else to do. How are things doing with yourself? Tell me some good news!! lol

Have you had hand cream on? Or soap? Wish i could help you :( I'm fine and all fish are doing well.

A 20 Is not a very big tank so I'm sure it's water contamination rather than a random disease that somehow effected all your fish. If all your fish die remember to do a full WC and leave your tank alone for atleast a week before putting anything in.

Back
Top Bottom