Hanging LED over reef (dumb question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just shelled out some cash for an LED light and I need to fig out how to mount it over my reef.
I decided to pick up some mounting brackets for shelves at home depot -- they said they were rated for up to 200lbs, and I will be drilling them into studs found in the wall.
I plan to hang to LED light off the end of them using bolts with the "U" on the end (and I have a nut that will screw on to the top).

Has anyone done this? Is it a bad idea? Think it'll work?
The whole set up only cost me like $5, which is cool, but I'm paranoid about dropping my light into the reef.

Pretty sure that will work. I put a 2x2 stud across my canopy and hung my led fixtures using wire (rated for 100lbs). I've got a fan rigged on there as well. This is what it looks like with cover removed:

ForumRunner_20130603_192436.jpg

what the fan does, helps with motion or is for cooling only?

Mostly for cooling. It it does add a bit more surface agitation which helps with led shimmer. Not really what I set it up for but it's a nice bonus.

Right on. I'm just paranoid cause I actually did have an expensive light fall into a tank once.
After spending $250 on this LED I'm pretty nervous about hanging it. Although, with the bolts on top of the nut it's not like they could slip through, and with the mounting brackets screwed into the wall studs, it SHOULD be ok

I'll test it with an old T5 light or something of similar weight, just let it hang a couple days and see if it moves

Nice setup, btw.

Thanks Janky. For further safety you could also add some clear screening. It lets light through as well as oxygen circulation. Check out BRS. They have a DIY clear screen top you can add. Decently priced and will add some insurance ;)

Back
Top Bottom