Harlequin rasboras turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I moved a school of 5 rasboras from a 10g to a 25g and one started turning white it acts healthy and it doesn't look like an infection. The only thing that's different is the tank is more open and I've switched from giving them blood worms to brine shrimp other than that everything is the same and he's the only one affected by this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449173395.097060.jpg

Keep calm and drum on

I hope it isn't columnaris. Sometimes it manifests itself in "white saddle" or "saddle back" disease and can kill lots of fish in a very short time. Is the temperature higher in the new tank? Was there any disease in there before you put them in? Good luck; I hope I am wrong.

The temp is at 79-80 and the rasbora are the only ones that have been in the tank other than a betta they where housed with before along with a golden weather loach

Keep calm and drum on

Losing colour due to the tank change? It could just be the stress from changing tanks that would make it look pale until its comfortable again. Especially if some of the parameters werent the same, such as temp, ph, nitrogen byproducts, etc. From what i can tell from the pictures, it reminds me of bringing home new fish from the store until they get comfortable. If hes eating, staying out, and not showing other typical signs then id wait a bit and see if it returns. But with new tanks especially it doesnt hurt to test for ammonia and whatnot just to be sure

Alright I'll test and give it a water change if needed and add some stress coat to help him adjust

Keep calm and drum on

So he hasn't gotten much color back yet but I notice he's whiter when the hood light is on so could the lighting have something to do with it? When I turn the light on in the morning in the room he's in he's more red and when I turn it off at night he's white again. I'm not sure what kind of bulb the hood has in it but I know it's a lot brighter than the other bulbs I use.

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom