Has anyone ever kept oscars with bichirs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LydiaGreen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I feel sorry for the oscars at Walmart (yes, yes, I know, but it's all I have here) and think they are beautiful. Knowing they grow quite large, I thought perhaps I could keep two of them in a 375 with several smaller species of bichirs. They bichirs are #1 on my list (the tank is being made for bichirs with bichir needs in mind) but, if oscars were compatible, what do you think of adding two oscars to this tank?

Personally I don't keep large, potentially aggressive cichlids with my bichirs but there have been a couple of instances in the past where I have kept bichirs for some time with pike cichlids (Crenicichla sp.) without too many problems. It is always a risk adding cichlids to a tank with relatively non-aggressive fish like bichirs but if the Oscars are currently small then you might be able to get away with it as long as the bichirs have some size to them.

Even a small Oscar might look at a smaller bichir as a snack.

-Joe

How fast do bichirs usually grow. I got my oscar almost a month ago and he grew from a little under 3" to 4" already. I thought about getting a bichir... but when my cichlids are full grown ill probably be stocked full ;) Oscars have big mouthes.... so whatever they can fit in it around they dont really care how long they are I don't think lol...

Most oscar + bichir tanks that I have heard about have ended badly for the bichirs, so I would not attempt it.

Bichirs grow explosively....Most of the senegals and ornates that I have bred have gone from 1cm (½") to 10cm (4") in just 11-14 weeks.....and then from there to 20cm (8") in just another 12-16 weeks. Lots of quality foods and plenty of water changes will give you similar results.

Thanks for the tips guys -- as cute as the oscars are, I HAVE TO HAVE THE BICHIRS AND WON'T RISK THEM so, bichirs and raphael cats it will be and that's all.

Back
Top Bottom