Has my first fish death from a jumper. =(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Entire tank top covered except for a small place along the back where the tubes come into the tank. Poor pearl gourami, may he rest in peace. =( Nothing better than coming home from vacation to see one of your fish sitting on the glass on the top of your tank...

I need to build a custom lid that allows for airflow but stops jumpers. Anyone know a good custom acrylic or otherwise place online they recommend that I could use?

I lost a Leleupi the same way about a month ago. I opened the top just enough for my automatic feeder while I was out of town for a week... Came home, and the poor little guy was stuck to the carpet. I have a little hole in back where the tubing goes in... I've just covered it with tape for the time being to be safe.

You could just put mesh ontop of the area and cut a hole in it just big enough for the tubes.

I've heard some people say they use "egg crate" made for fluorescent lighting fixtures.

egg_crate_vinyl_open.jpg

currently I have some steel sheets I was going to cut down for a temp measure, but I think I might try the egg crate stuff if I can find a source for it? Didn't even thing to look for that, but that's a great idea.

If all else fails, I'll just buy some plexi sheets and drill a bunch of holes in it.

Another solution would be to get some molding of some sort. I've used the black rubber automotive molding that goes around the door windows before. Of course, this would seal it up, which isn't what you wanted (you wanted airflow), but it's just another suggestion.

yeah.. I find that my tank heats up too much during the day if it doesn't get proper airflow at the top of the tank.

thanks for all the ideas!

wishbone said:
I think I might try the egg crate stuff if I can find a source for it? Didn't even thing to look for that, but that's a great idea.

If all else fails, I'll just buy some plexi sheets and drill a bunch of holes in it.

Look for eggcrate in the lighting section of your local Lowes, HomeDepot, or hardware store. It's used as a diffuser panel on 2 x 4 foot overhead light fixtures.

FYI, DON'T use plexi, unless you are covering a very small area. The heat from the aquarium causes plexi to warp over time. Another option, if the area is small, is needlepoint mesh. You can get this at any craft store. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom