Hate finding dried up fish behind my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums...5-6763-4A16-91D3-C5D51D46CE92_zpse6kvhw8e.jpg just recently I lost my african butterfly fish. He some how managed to escape the tank. I first realized when I was was messing around on the side of my 55g. I thought that was weird so I'll looked in my tank and noticed the ABF was gone. I looked behind the tank and didn't see him. My stand has a cut out on the bottom where it goes all the way to the front. Well my tank was really close to the wall so all I could get back there was my phone. So I set it on video with the flash, when I pulled it out sure enough there was my fish. I had to leave for school in 5 mins so there was no way I could empty and move my tank in time. I hope he was dead by the time I realized, because I'd feel even worse if he was alive and that I could of saved him.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Happens often in the hobby. The only solution is a 100% enclosed top. My brother used a kit from bulk reef supply to keep his fish in on his reef tank. There are tons of options at lowes if you are a do it yourselfer. Mesh, plastic gutterguard, plastic screens etc.

Yeah, I've only had it happen with hatchet fish and once a golden ram. I knew ABF were jumpers but the opening I had in my tank was so small and I had the fish for a while I didn't think he would jump.

I had one go out a glass top, only open spot was a 1/2" spot near the filter... she really wanted out haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Yea, sadly it happens, and I don't want to be the crazy one with cardboard and textbooks all over my tank blocking every exit.

How long did you have yours. I was so mad because mine started getting used to me and I could even hand feed him.

I've had them for several years. The one that jumped was new - no more than 6 months.

That's terrible I'm sorry for your loss :(

We need to get the back of ours closed up. A bit hard due to the filter and heater and tubing for our bubbler... hrrrm... so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom